LAUNDRY | ACT XXXIX

INT. SAKUSA'S BEDROOM — MID - AFTERNOON

SAKUSA marveled at the way KOYAMA had neatly folded his clothes. Trying his best to not unfold them, SAKUSA gently slipped his hands below the piles of clothes and secured them by pressing his chin down onto the last article of clothing. One by one, the piles disappeared, and SAKUSA sighed with content as he looked around his room.

SAKUSA glanced at the white board above his work desk, an equation he finished last night remained half blurred. The raven haired male didn't like the odd way it stood out, and with haste, he searched for the whiteboard eraser.

With that out of the way, SAKUSA walked out of his room and gently closed the door behind him.

INT. SAKUSA — KOYAMA APARTMENT — MID AFTERNOON

SAKUSA noticed the top of KOYAMA's head peaking above the couch pillows.

INT. LIVING ROOM — MID AFTERNOON

KOYAMA's hair splayed behind her as she comfortably reclined on the couch. To increase her level of comfort, the brunette grabbed another couch pillow and placed it over her lap.

Instead of watching TV, like anyone else would if they sat down in front of the TV, she closed her eyes, and contemplated her crush's face in her mind.

So far, had her imagination gone, that she could now hear his voice. KOYAMA, without a thought of suspicion, held a hand out in empty air until she felt a sudden warmth invade her senses.

KOYAMA
(Shouts)
SAKUSA?!

KOYAMA held SAKUSA's chin in the palm of her hand, at an awkward angle, and the raven could only sport a face of mild discomfort, but he had turned red, and when she pulled away, SAKUSA's eyes focused on her hands with genuine disappointment.

SAKUSA
Do you often
make confusing
choices?

SAKUSA
Even if they are
done subconsciously?

KOYAMA
It's more like I
get a little more
dim witted when
you're around.

SAKUSA
(Hesitation)
I wouldn't...

SAKUSA
(Hesitation)
I mean to say...um...
that's alright I
guess.

SAKUSA
(Bashful)
I find myself not
minding when it's
you.

KOYAMA
Well, to tell you
the truth, I find
myself wanting to
open up more and
more.

KOYAMA
Isn't that
terrifying?

KOYAMA and SAKUSA's faces grew closer, until their eyes were completely immersed in the details of each other's faces. The air between them was hard to intake, as their unspoken thoughts remained in the gap of space linking their silhouettes.

If one of them were brave enough to move forward, their lips would touch, but alas, neither was emotionally prepared to commit.

Their simultaneous sighs of relief as they moved away from one another, made them flush bright red, and once their actions sunk in, SAKUSA and KOYAMA wracked their brains for a reasonable conversation to avoid speaking of what transpired.

SAKUSA
I should go set up the
table since the boys
are coming over tonight.

KOYAMA
Today's
game night?

KOYAMA
(Worried)
I should be taking
a shower before
they get here.

SAKUSA's face suddenly lit up, and KOYAMA's heart fluttered at the sight.

SAKUSA
I was going to
mention this initially,
before... (cough). You're
exceptionally good at
folding clothes.

SAKUSA thought, it's kind of cute.

SAKUSA
Thanks, for helping
me out today.

KOYAMA
I was supposed
to, so, there's
no need to thank
me.

SAKUSA
(Chuckles).
But I wanted to
do so anyway.

At that moment, SAKUSA and KOYAMA saw in each other what everyone else did; They complimented each other, in a way that couldn't be articulated with words, but with actions. In their weaknesses, the other held a strength, and together, they just felt right.

Here and now, they still had fears, fears they had to overcome.

So, for their feelings to flourish in between thorns, the thorns had to cease to exist.