Twenty-six

12:45

I was already exhausted and it was only forty-five minutes past noon.

I was standing in the living room in front of the body-sized mirror, wearing my wedding dress while Dove tried to fix the veil.

And that's when Molly decided to pop by. Inez opened but was hesitant to let her in, knowing how I felt about her, though Molly pushed past her.

"Just here to see the bride." I heard her say shortly before entering the living room, looking at me, and then her smile dropped.

"Oh..."

Oh?

I looked at her with a frown, wondering what the hell she meant by that.

"She's beautiful, isn't she?" Dove asked.

"Yes..." Molly said hesitantly. "Darling are you sure that's the right dress? It makes you look a little..."

She sent me a tight smile, trying to find the right words while I knew exactly what was on her mind.

"You—" she looked me up and down as she put her small bag down on the ground. "...have you gained a little weight?"

I instantly looked at myself in the mirror again, biting my tongue to not curse at her.

She's George's mother.

I was pregnant and she didn't know that but commenting on my body was beyond disrespectful.

I glanced at Dove who looked Molly up and down as to say "look who's talking" but instead she rolled her eyes and turned to give me a reassuring smile.

"George is going to be so star struck by how beautiful you look that he'll forget the words." She said.

"Did you know that forty-two percent of marriages end in divorce?"

"Great." I breathed. "That means that fifty-eight percent succeeds. George and I will be one of those, no matter how much you dislike that idea."

"Dahlia, dear." Molly tilted her head. "I know we got off on the wrong foot but now that you'll be marrying George, I'd like if we could make amends."

"Mrs Weasley." Inez rushed into the room. "George just called. He needs your help over at Fred and Eloise's place. He said it was urgent."

"Oh... he must be having trouble with his suit. Or maybe he's got cold feet."

She sounded way too excited about that last time comment and after she left, I grabbed the veil as Dove was trying to put it on me.

I threw it on the sofa before I marched out and upstairs, slowly getting out of the dress.

The dress ended up on the floor and I found some sweatpants and a jumper before I sat in a corner of the room, feeling the panic rise inside of me about today.

I took a few deep breaths as I closed my eyes.

"Dahlia." Inez entered the room and as she saw me, she rushed over to crouch down in front of me. "What's going on? Why did you take off your dress?"

I shook my head.

"I can't do this. I'm sorry. I know you've spent a lot of time and I know how excited you we're about being my maid of honour again, but I just can't. Not in front of his whole family. They'll be watching us and they'll each be thinking all sort of things."

Inez sighed.

"Who cares what they think?" She asked. "Molly and Ginny are the only ones in that family who genuinely have something against you."

"I care!" I said. "They're his family! He's got so much family and it's going to feel like his wedding and not ours. Can you please— call him please? I want him here."

"Dahlia—"

"Please, Inez. I need to talk to him about this."

Inez nodded.

"Of course. I'll find my phone downstairs and ask Dove to bring you some water. You could need some so that you don't faint."

She left the room and not even five minutes later, George walked through the door with some water instead of Dove.

He paused when he saw me, then gently approached me and joined me on the floor.

"Cold feet?" He asked, handing me the glass of water.

I shook my head.

"It's not that." I drank all of the water, completely emptying the glass before I put it next to me on the floor. "I want to marry you but I don't think I can do it with your entire family watching. Ninety percent of that guest list are there because of you and that's not your fault, but I can't do it. I'm sorry."

George placed a hand on my knee, moving a little closer to me.

"Why didn't you say anything?"

I shrugged.

"You seemed to want it so much."

"Darling, what I want, is to be your husband, but I don't care how that happens. If it's as simple as signing the license and sending it in, that's fine as long as we're married."

I leaned my head back, taking a deep breath so that I wouldn't start crying.

"Let's cancel the ceremony." He said. "Tell the guests to not show, that it'll be private. We'll be there with our kids and with Inez and Fred. They're maid of honour and best man so it makes sense, yeah?"

I nodded slowly as I looked at him, waiting for him to finish his point.

"How would you feel about still having the reception with the guests?" He asked. "It'll be casual anyway. We'll be by each other's side all night, talk a little with the guests and have fun, though the ceremony will be private."

I rested my head against his shoulder, letting out a sigh of relief.

"But I want Dove there too if that's alright." I said in a whisper.

"Of course." George's hands found mine and he laced his fingers together with mine before bringing my hand up to kiss it. "So that's the plan?"

I nodded.

"That's the plan."

"I'll go tell them." He told me and got up, looking down at me with smile. "You look beautiful by the way, and so does that dress."

He pointed to the dress and I chuckled lightly.

"You weren't supposed to see that."

"No? You believe it brings bad luck?"

I shrugged.

"Not really."

He smiled and walked to the door where he stopped again, a hand placed against the frame while he looked at me, and that's when I realised how handsome he looked.

He wore a simple black and white suit with a black tie, his finger hair brushed back. It was medium length, going down behind his ears and it really suited him.

He was the definition of beautiful.

Both on the inside and the outside.

"I'll see you later." George smiled at me. "I'll tell Inez and Dove about the plan, then I'll see you at the altar. I love you."

I smiled, resting my head against the wall while keeping my eyes on him.

"I love you too."