Chapter Forty Nine

Me and Technoblade arrived at the village and my heart was beating faster than ever. My palms were sweaty and I was trying my best to keep my breathing even. I felt Technoblade slip his hand into mine, comforting me and I looked up and smiled at him. 

"Are you ready?" He asked softly. I didn't answer . "Hey, look, we don't have to if you're not ready." 

I shook my head firmly. "No." I said. "No, I want this. I want to meet him." I looked back to the village. Techno just nodded and he guided me into the town square. Many people stopped what they were doing and stared at Techno and even more people ran away. I took a shaky breath in as I knew that they recognized Technoblade as the insane criminal that has killed thousands. We stopped, right in the middle of the marketplace. 

"Where can I find the one that you all call your leader?" Techno said, his voice loud and clear for everyone to hear. When no one answered, Techno grew impatient. "I asked you all a question. I would prefer if I got my answer before I burn down this market." I looked at him, shocked. This wasn't part of the plan. 

And that's when I realized that it was. It was the part of the plan that he deliberately did not tell me. I silently cursed to myself. Of course Technoblade wouldn't just leave a village standing and unharmed. I looked at him, standing with his head held high and his eyes scanning the crowd through his mask. Always a flare for the dramatic.

The crowd pointed us in the direction of the community house where they told us we could find the Mayor of the village. I stuck close to Techno as we made our way to the community house and but I didn't say anything to him. He seemed to think it was the nerves so he didn't comment on my lack of speech. 

I didn't even realize when we reached the community house and I didn't even realize when Techno opened the door and led us inside. When I snapped back to reality, we were standing outside the meeting room, faintly listening to the voices inside the room. I thought that we were going to knock first, but Techno just swung open the door, and three men were sat around a small table. As soon as they saw Techno, they stood up and held their swords in front of them, pointing straight at him. Techno gently let go of my hand and gently pushed me behind him in a protective way. He remained calm. 

"Which one of you is the one they call Nathaniel Jacobs?" He asked in a bored voice. The men didn't answer, but quick glance that two of them stole at the one in the middle gave us an answer. "I'm gonna need you two gentleman to step out of the room for a moment." He said, addressing the other two. Instead, they charged at us with their swords, aiming to drive them  through our hearts. We dodged the attacks and Techno took out his bow and shot both of them in the chest. I gasped as they fell to the floor, writhing in pain, their blood spilling everywhere on the carpet. I heard the Mayor let out a strangled gasp as well. 

"What did you do?" I whispered. Technoblade shrugged. 

"They were going to kill us, Y/n."  He answered, turning to face the last man standing. I expected him to be afraid but he held his head high, showing no hint of fear. I admired that about him. 

"What, are you going to kill me now?" He said stiffly. Techno looked at me for reassurance and I nodded. He left the room and closed the door behind him. I looked back at the Mayor who was eying me with suspicion but his body relaxed a little. He didn't see me as much of a threat to him. 

"What game are you playing, running around with a known criminal like that?" He said venomously. "You, still so young. What drives you to be his companion?" 

I stared at him. "I love him." I said simply. He laughed humorlessly. 

"Child, a man like him knows no love." He stated. I didn't respond, instead biting my lip. This was not where I wanted the conversation to go. When I remained silent, he continued. "You're simply a phase in his life. As soon as he gets bored, he'll leave you, no matter what you had together." He said.