Chapter Thirty

- Y/n's POV -

I stood in the courtyard of a big mansion I had never seen before, and yet it seemed so familiar. A soft breeze passed me and I shivered slightly. I looked down at the gorgeous red dress that I was wearing, the silky fabric hugged my torso before flouncing out at the hips. I could feel the curls in my hair bounce as I moved my head, and on my face, I felt a stiff, bumpy item. I took it off and saw a beautiful gold mask embroided with gold sequins and cream pearls. I put the mask back on and as I lowered my arms, I felt a hand reach out and touch my back. I jumped, turning around, startled. 

"I'm awfully sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." A brunet boy, probably a few years older than me, spoke. He too, was wearing a mask, except a pastel purple, which matched the rest of his outfit. 

"It's fine. I'm just a bit jumpy." my breathing slowly returned back to normal. 

"Sorry about that. It's just that, you looked a bit confused about something and I just wanted to ask if you're lost?" 

"Well, I..." I trailed off. "I suppose I am lost. To be honest, I don't really know where I'm supposed to be." I laughed a little. "Although, based on our outfits, I'm guessing we were both invited to the same costume party." 

The boy smiled. "Well, then you aren't lost after all! The party's right here!" He pointed to to the mansion. He held out a hand. "I'm Karl, by the way." 

I smiled and shook his hands. "I'm..."  My smile faltered as I tried to remember my name. It suddenly pinged into my head. "I'm Katherine." 

Karl giggled. "You forgot your name?" 

"I just had a mind blank." I smiled. "Well, should we go in? We wouldn't want to be late, would we?" 

Karl nodded and we both made our way to the doors, which were already open. We walked in and was greeted by a man in an expensive looking black suit with a black and gold mask.

"Hello?" Karl said uncertainly. The man looked at him. 

"Hello, who are you?" 

"I'm Karl. You invited me to your masquerade?"  The man shrugged. 

"I just invited every single rich person in the area. And if you were invited, then I guess that means you aren't poor, which is a relief." 

"Oh." was all that Karl could say. The man turned and looked at me instead. I saw him smile under his mask. 

"Ah, Lady Katherine II, a pleasure to see you again." He took my hand and gave it a gentle kiss. I smiled at him. 

"The pleasure's all mine, Sir Billiam III." Karl looked at us uncertainly, clearly feeling left out. I cleared my throat. "Billiam, this is my friend Karl." Karl held out his hand. Sir Billiam hesitated. 

"Hello, I am Sir Billiam the 3rd, the owner of this hereby mansion. What is your estate? What do you do for a living?" Sir Billiam sniffed, declining Karl's handshake. 

"I, uhh, don't worry I'm not poor, I stream Minecraft." Sir Billiam's aura changed at once and he shook Karl's hand eagerly. 

"Oh, good, a rich person!" Sir Billiam clapped his hands together. He called out. "Butlerrrr!" 

"Oh dear god, who is that?" Karl said, as a boy dressed in a butler's outfit ran down the stairs. 

"This hideous poor person, a...commoner" Sir Billiam practically spat the word out. "is my butler, I let him live here in exchange for complete loyalty, 24 hour service and sometimes, I even let him sleep!" 

"Oh...wow" Karl said. The Butler started serving us glasses of champagne. Karl took one and started sipping it and Sir Billiam also took one. The Butler proceeded to serve me but Sir Billiam stopped him.