Nineteen

I just want to clarify something really quick.

The last sentence in the last chapter was not foreshadowing.

George is not gonna turn violent. We all know he's not like that. He would never lay a hand on Dia.

-

I walked into the kitchen, knowing that George was in there.

I didn't know where the kids were, but I had finally gained courage to get out of bed.

He seemed focus on making dinner, his face one I couldn't read.

He glanced up at me as I entered.

"Did Fred leave?" I asked, and he nodded.

"Had to go home to his family." He said. "Oh, and Freddie is with Jess. Breaking up with her."

"Okay..." I muttered, walking closer to the kitchen island. "Listen, George—"

He put down the knife harshly which caused me to stop talking.

"I would never lay a hand on you." He said. "And you suggesting that to Fred is honestly very hurtful. Like, I get that I hurt you, Dia... but you should know better than anyone how much I love you. I wouldn't hurt you."

"I know." I sighed. "I'm sorry."

He looked at me without saying anything, and my eyes dropped to the kitchen island to avoid his eyes.

"I'm also sorry about what I said to your face." I said. "I didn't mean it. I know you care about me."

"I don't just care about you. I love you." He said. "I've always fucking loved you, and sometimes I'm a fucking idiot but that doesn't mean I love you any less."

I took a deep breath and looked at him.

"I love you." I said. "And I can be an idiot too sometimes..."

He cracked a small smile and moved around the island before bringing me in for a hug.

I slid my arms up and wrapped them around his neck, closing my eyes as I took in his scent.

I'm not scared of him. I was just angry.

George was my comfort. He always had been.

"I'm sorry I was acting like a bitch."

He chuckled against my neck before he pulled his head back a few inches to look down at me.

"You wouldn't be you without the attitude." He said. "But you have every right to be upset with me."

I sighed and brought a hand up to brush it through his hair, before resting the hand against the nape of his neck.

"Are you hungry?" He asked. "You haven't had anything to eat today."

"Yeah, I'm starving, actually."

He pressed a kiss to my forehead before he walked over to the fridge.

"You don't have to make anything." I told him. "You're already cooking dinner. I can wait."

"No, it's okay." He said. "I'll make you a sandwich. What was it that made you sick the last time?"

I exhaled as I took a seat by the island.

"I don't know... I think it was the turkey."

"Then I'll make one without turkey." He said.

I watched him as he made the sandwich.

"It's not the baby itself I don't want." I told him. "I mean... it kind of is but it's mostly the pregnancy."

George glanced at me.

"We're gonna do this how you want to do it, yeah? That means however you feel the most comfortable."

I nodded.

"What did you tell the kids?" I asked. "About me being in bed all day?"

"I told them that you weren't feeling well." He said. "But I think Fred and Elsie kind of saw through me and realised that you not feeling well, means that you're depressed."

I sighed.

"I can't even be a good mother." I sighed, resting my elbows on the island while covering my face with my hands.

"Dia..." he sighed. "...you are an amazing mother."

"Yeah?" I looked at him. "Some mornings, I can't get out of bed and it's been worse in the past few months. I'm supposed to be there and raise them and how can I do that when I'm in bed all day?"

"Just because you're a parent, doesn't mean you can't be vulnerable and have a day like that. It's not often you have those days but when you do, you are allowed to just relax while I get up and take care of things." He said. "It's fine, Dia... but therapy would be good."

I nodded slowly.

"I'm gonna book an appointment." I told him. "I also need to call Meg and let her know that we're keeping the baby."

"I can do that." He told me. "Unless you want to, of course."

I shrugged.

"It's okay. I can call her." I said while George pushed a plate with the sandwich over to me. "Thank you."

Getting something to eat was nice. I had been down in a deep hole all day and while I still didn't feel great, I felt better to the point where I could spend time out of bed.

"So Fred isn't coming home for dinner?" I asked, and George shook his head.

"No. He spent today coming out to everyone he knows." He told me. "On social media as well to let his friends know."

"Oh..." I put down the sandwich. "...how did that go?"

"He didn't tell me." George sighed. "He seemed upset so I'm guessing it didn't go well."

I looked at him.

"What do you think your mother will say?"

"What do you mean?"

"I've experienced that most people who are racist, also tend to be homophobic."

George looked at me and our eyes met.

"Well, I'm not letting her make any comments towards him." He said. "Anything she has to say, can go through me."

I nodded.

"I'm gonna kill her if she says anything." I said. "If she upsets Fred..."

"If she upsets Fred, you can kill her." George grinned. "But, we don't know if she has anything against homosexuality."

I picked my sandwich up again and took a bite.

When I finished eating, I put the plate away before I approached George.

"I'm gonna go outside and sit for a while." I told him and he nodded before I walked out onto the terrace, taking a seat on the chair.

I looked at the twins who were running around in the grass, playing tag, while Roxanne sat down on her phone.

I looked over at the pool where Elsie was swimming around and Leah sat on the edge of it, swinging her legs in the water.

Those kids loved the pool more than anything. They always spent all summer by it.

I didn't know what they would say to having another sister.

They'd probably be upset.