Twenty-two

One day in August I decided to visit George at work.

I had to go run some errands and Freddie had offered to watch the youngest kids so I didn't have to find a babysitter.

I entered the shop which was a place I hadn't been for a while, actually.

One of the errands I had, was an appointment with my therapist.

Yes, Dove's brother. I know you're not supposed to be sitting in therapy if you know the therapist on a personal level but it actually helped me a lot. He helped me a lot.

"Hi Ron." I smiled at George's younger brother who was emptying a box of products.

He looked up at me from where he was crouched on the floor.

"Dahlia." He greeted. "George is upstairs."

I cocked an eyebrow.

"Upstairs?"

"Yeah. In the flat."

I nodded slowly and looked towards the stairs.

"Thank you." I told him before I walked all the way up and turned the corner, seeing that the door was open.

I entered the flat, looking around. This was familiar. Way too familiar. All the memories from this place hit me and I had to take a breath.

It was dusty in here. You could tell here hadn't been a soul in years.

"George?" I asked while looking towards the kitchen.

I heard footsteps and then I looked at George who left the bedroom he used to live in.

"So many memories in here, aren't there?" He asked as he walked into the kitchen, running his hands over the dusty kitchen island.

He brushed it off his hands, then pointed to the kitchen chairs that still stood by the island.

"You sat there the morning after we hooked up." He said. "I found out you were married. At first I thought you had cheated on him with me, then you told me you were separated."

I smiled.

"I remember that day. Nine years ago..."

He chuckled as he watched the chair.

"I miss it sometimes." He said. "The thrill of this newly found love. Us getting to know each other. Still being young."

"You're not old." I smiled. "Forty-three isn't old... technically."

George laughed, leaning his hands on the island.

"I remember you sitting on the sofa over there—" he pointed at the living area and I turned to see it completely empty. "...you sat with Roxi after she told you to practice doing her hair."

George walked over to me, grabbed my hand before he led me towards the bedroom.

The bed still stood there.

"I remember all those mornings when you slept over. I remember us laying there, cuddling after sex when Lee barged in."

I chuckled.

"Great way to meet him for the first time."

George smiled down at me.

"What are you doing up here?" I asked him, turning my body towards his.

"Do you remember this morning when Fred informed us he'd be looking for his own flat here in London?"

I nodded.