Twenty-nine

As the door closed behind me, Leah threw her shoes onto the floor as well as the bags she carried.

"No, pick those up." I told her and she groaned loudly before she did. "Put them in your room, and stay there."

Leah looked at me.

"You can't ground me."

"I'm not grounding you." I said. "But you will stay in your room for at least an hour to cool down."

"You can't force me!"

"Leah!" I raised my voice. "Please just do what I tell you to. Go to your room."

"You know what?" She asked. "I hate you. I hope you die during labour!"

I inhaled sharply as her words cut me right in the heart. Leah turned around and marched up the stairs and shortly after I heard her door being slammed shut.

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes as I leaned back against the wall.

She doesn't mean it.

"Mum?" I heard Fred's voice which caused me to open my eyes and push myself away from the wall as Fred approached from the living room. "Are you okay?"

I nodded, offering him a soft smile.

"What's going on with Leah?"

"You don't have to worry about that." I said. "Do you mind watching them for a little longer?"

"No, of course not."

"Thank you." I breathed. "I just have to go and talk to someone but it'll be quick."

"Malcolm?" He asked while I opened the door. "Mum I don't think seeing Malcolm on your own is such a good idea."

I sighed.

"It'll be okay." I assured him. "I'll call your dad on my way there and let him know where I am."

I said goodbye to Fred before I closed the door behind me.

I pulled my wand out on my way down the driveway, apparating to Malcolm's house.

I found my phone and sent George a quick text to tell him where I was, before I walked up and knocked on the door.

When Malcolm opened the door, his eyes landed on me and his eyes softened a bit.

He was wearing sweatpants which was all. He was all sweaty and breathing heavily.

"Dahlia?"

"Can I come in?"

He nodded and stepped aside, rubbing his chin while I walked in. Malcolm closed the door behind me before I turned towards him.

"You look good." He said, looking me up and down. "I haven't seen you since..."

"Since you punched me?"

"...yeah." He breathed. "I tried to come in contact with you but George wouldn't let me see you."

He seemed to be sober.

"You're not drunk." I stated and he let out a chuckle, shaking his head.

"I've been keeping myself sober since that day." He said. "It's been months, hasn't it?"

I hummed.

"It's difficult but I'm tired of living a life like this." He said with a sigh. "I've thrown all the alcohol out that I owned, and I've started therapy again. I want to be a better dad and just a better person in general."

Christ you're making this difficult for me.

"Malcolm—"

"I know that Elsie hates me. She hasn't wanted to talk to me and I get that. I just hope I can earn her trust back."

I shook my head.

"It's too late." I said. "You've had so many chances to make things right."

Malcolm's expression slowly dropped and he folded his arms over his chest.

"Why are you here, Dahlia?"

"You've been manipulating Leah." I said. "Thanks to you, she thinks that George has been brainwashing me. She wants us back together. She doesn't understand how dangerous that would be."

"I haven't—"

"You have."

"Alright... yes, but that was so long ago. That was the last time I saw her. I'm better now. I'm trying."

"But it's too late."

"It's not!" He raised his voice. "Please don't do what I think you're about to do."

I sighed and shrugged, running my hands through my hair.

"I'm just here to get whatever stuff they have at your place." I said and turned to walk up the stairs, Malcolm following me.

"Dahlia, please don't. I just need another chance."

"Another chance for you to waste, you mean."

"Dahlia—"

I felt his hand wrap around my wrist, causing me to flinch. Immediately I turned around and ripped my arm away from him.

"Don't touch me." I breathed. "Do not fucking touch me."

"I'm not gonna hurt you. I just—"

"Yeah?" I asked. "How am I supposed to trust that?"

He didn't answer. We just stared at each other until the doorbell rang throughout the house.

Neither of us moved.

"You should probably get that." I said, gesturing towards the stairs, then I turned and continued into Elsie's room while Malcolm walked back downstairs.

I found a few bags in the closet, and pulled out my wand, using magic to pack everything.

Downstairs, I could hear faint voices and then I recognised George to be the one talking to Malcolm.

I walked out of the room as Elsie's things packed themselves.

As I stood at the top of the stairs, I could see George down there, arguing with Malcolm until George's eyes landed on me.

Their voices stopped and Malcolm turned around to look at me as well.

"Are you okay?" George asked.

I nodded.

"Can you two not fight for once?" I asked, walking down the stairs.

I met George in a hug, before I looked up at Malcolm.

"You can't do this." He said. "I've been sober for almost two months. I'm in therapy... I can be a good dad."

"I know you can." I nodded. "But you aren't and I don't want the girls to suffer while you figure it out. They're already suffering enough."

"Dahlia—" he stepped forwards but George stepped in front of me while tugging me back.

Malcolm looked at George, then let out a laugh before he took a few steps back, his eyes moving to me.

"Just... pack their things so you can get your husband out of my house." He said before he turned and walked into the kitchen.

I took a deep breath, running a hand over my forehead before George turned to look at me, taking my face in his hands.

"You're doing the right thing." He whispered, kissing me.

"I know... it just— it sucks that I even have to do this in the first place." I said. "Leah hates me, you know."

"No she doesn't."

"She told me she wishes I die during labour."