Forty-four

George walked in his own world as he got ready for bed.

My eyes were locked on him. I was trying to figure out what he was doing when he wasn't at work. My mind kept going back to one thing, but George would never do that so I pushed it away.

I sat on the bed, wearing his t-shirt. My legs were folded, my hands resting on my bump.

She was kicking a lot and I was slowly getting more and more attached to her.

Now I felt guilty that I had even considered giving her up for adoption. I didn't know how that thought could cross my mind.

I was a mum. I had children and I couldn't imagine them not being mine.

Of course I was going to have this child, and even though I wasn't completely happy about it yet, I was still slowly getting attached to her.

"Where were you today?" I asked, causing George to look at me as he had been on his way to the bathroom.

He stared at me for a moment, then turned his entire body towards me.

"What?"

"You heard me."

"I've— I've been at work. You know that."

I simply nodded and he gave me an odd look before continuing towards the bathroom but as I spoke again, he once again paused.

"It's just that—" I let out a small chuckle. "...I went to see you at work after my therapy session."

His back muscles tensed as he realised he was caught.

"Fred told me that you have called in sick a lot in the last month." I said. "But you've been telling me you've gone to work and when I've asked you how it was, you answer it as if you had been to work."

He slowly turned around to look at me while running his hand over his mouth.

"So where have you been?" I asked. "I've got a lot of theories but I do not want to accuse you for anything so why don't you go ahead and tell me the truth?"

"Dia—"

He shook his head as he brushed his hand through his hair and then he approached the bed.

"I wanted to tell you, I really did but I—" he crawled onto the bed, joining me. "...I didn't know how."

"Tell me what?" I asked, my voice breaking. I shook my head as I teared up, moving back on the bed. "George, tell me what?!"

He sighed.

"I've been seeing Angelina."

It felt like air was being sucked from my lungs as I stared at him and I felt a tear slip from my eye.

George brought a hand up to my face to wipe it away but I moved away from him.

"Dia..."

"Seeing her how?"

"What do you mean; how?" He asked before realisation hit him. "You think I cheated on you?"

"I don't know..." I shrugged. "...what am I supposed to think? Why are you calling in sick to work to spend time with your ex-wife? You tell me what I'm supposed to think."

"You could at least fucking trust me." He scoffed. "To think I would cheat on you..."

"Trust?!" I laughed. "You have been lying to me for a month!"

He stared at me, frowning, then he brought his hand up once again to wipe my tears away, and this time I let him.

"How have you been seeing her?" I asked again, staring at his eyes.

"She needs my help with something."

"With what?"

"Quidditch. She wants to get into coaching instead of playing." He said. "I'm helping her get better at the other positions."

I let out a laugh.

"She needs your help? That's a bullshit excuse to get you alone!"

"Dia." He shook his head.

"She has been playing professionally for years and she needs the help of someone who only played in school?" I asked. "It's bullshit. She's trying to get you back."

"No she isn't."

I moved away from him, getting off the bed before turning towards him.

"Think, George. Why would a professional quidditch player need help from someone who hasn't played in twenty-five years?"

This was ridiculous, especially how he couldn't see it. There was no way she just wanted help from him.

"Well, it doesn't matter what her intentions are." George said. "Because I only have one intention and that is to simply help her out."

"But why do you even want to help her, huh?" I asked. "What made you agree to it? That is the woman who left you, Freddie and Roxi in the middle of the night while Roxanne was just a baby. She's the woman who convinced Freddie to sneak out in the middle of the night and tried to convince him to come and live with her. Why are you helping her?!"

"Because she promised to stay away forever if I did." He told me. "She said that if I didn't help her, she'd search out Fred and Roxanne."

I scoffed, folding my arms over my chest.

"Did you tell her that I adopted them?" I asked. "That legally, she is not their mother?"

"Yes, I did." He said. "She freaked out and that's when she started threatening to come around and seek them out if I didn't help her."

"And you kept it from me because..."

"Because I knew how you'd react!" He raised his voice. "You can help out your ex-husband but I can't help out my ex-wife?"

"That's different."

George got off the bed and approached me.

"Yeah? How?"

"Because when I helped Malcolm, he was still in the picture. I hadn't given up on Elsie and Leah having him in their lives but we both know that has changed. I am done with him, I am gonna win that case and he's going to be out of our lives." I said. "And legally, he is still their father... he just doesn't have custody."

"I'm—"

"I said legally!" I shouted. "I know Elsie sees you as one and you've been much better towards them than he has. I hope Leah will realise that as well one day."

I took a deep breath, wiping my cheeks clean.

"You should've just told me." I breathed. "You didn't have to lie for a month..."

Then I realised.

"A month..." I repeated. "...I've only been out of the hospital for two and a half weeks."

He didn't say anything. He looked at me and I teared up again.

"I was in the hospital and you spend time with her?"

"Don't say it like that." He said. "You were my first priority like you always are. I came to see you and I spend as much time with you as possible. Then when I was supposed to be at work, I went and I helped her, but she always comes last to you and the kids."

I backed up towards the door before turning around.

"Where're you going?"

"Just... I need some fresh air."