Fifty-six

Groaning, I hooked an arm over George's body.

I had woken up yet again in the middle of the night because I couldn't sleep comfortably while being this pregnant.

It was the start of January. We had just celebrated New Years in our home home with no extended family which honestly felt good.

Though Roxanne decided to climb the tree in the garden like she did with the tree by our old house, and she fell off, breaking her arm.

That's the second time she's ever broken it. Though she had it healed at St. Mungo's and now she was alright.

I fell asleep again but not even ten minutes later, I woke up at the sound of my phone ringing.

With a groan, I rolled onto my other side and grabbed my phone from the nightstand to look at it.

No caller ID.

I hung up. It was in the middle of the night so I didn't want to answer the phone of someone I didn't even know.

George moved a little in his sleep. The call had almost woken him up too.

I struggled to fall asleep again. I closed my eyes but then my phone rang for the second time.

I sighed and struggled with sitting up, my feet hitting the ice cold floor.

"Who's calling you?" George asked against his pillow while I grabbed my phone.

No caller ID.

"I don't know." I mumbled, deciding to answer it. I pressed my phone to my ear. "Hello, who's this?"

"Mummy." Leah's voice cried into my ear and I felt my heart sink at the heartbreak in her voice. "I'm sorry I didn't listen."

"Leah, baby... calm down, yeah? Take a deep breath and tell me whose phone you're calling from."

Leah didn't have her own phone. George and I had a rule that our kids weren't allowed a phone until they were thirteen.

And technology didn't work at Hogwarts.

Where the hell was my daughter.

"I'm scared." She cried. "I wanna go home. I don't want to stay with dad anymore."

I pulled myself up to stand.

"You've been staying with your dad? You told me you were going to stay at Hogwarts."

"Please don't be mad at me. I lied." She continued to cry. Her voice broke me. She sounded so devastated. I had no idea what Malcolm had done to make her call me crying at four in the morning. "I just wanted to spend time with dad but I don't want to anymore. I wanna go home."

"Leah... Leah take a deep breath for me." I said, trying to stay calm. "Can you do that for me?"

I heard her take a deep breath as I made my way over to the dresser to find a pair of sweatpants while the bed creaked as George sat up, watching me.

"Good. Can you tell me what's happening?" I asked. "Whose phone is this?"

"He gave it to me."

"Who? Your dad?"

"No." She sobbed. "He's drinking downstairs. Dad won't make him leave. He won't leave. Mummy, I need you."

Leah hadn't called me mummy for years. She was out of her mind with fear and that in itself scared the shit out of me.

"I'll be right there, baby. I promise." I said. "Where are you right now? In your bedroom?"