4. Guilty Blood

1027 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written September 16 2021
Posted October 14 2021

I wonder how long it'll take me to run out of 'blood' chapter names XP

With her movements paused, tissue weaved itself back together, no longer having to fight against her ministrations. Ai didn't stop it, without knowing what to do about the information, keeping the thief cut open wouldn't do much besides waste time. Was that growth his heart? Or had his heart simply been encased by it? The thief had a pulse, he was also breathing. Ai was more inclined to conclude that the other's heart was just encased.

Ai bit her lip, the growth had pulsed like a heartbeat. Would removing it end the thief's life? It was too soon to think about doing that. Not when she had barely even done anything in an attempt to help. Removing the growth would be a last resort, the only option after that would be to just simply put the thief down.

The scientist was startled when she glanced at the thief's face. Kaito's eyes were open, the red that ringed indigo was even more prevalent than before. The glowing effect was barely notable with how bright the room was, but it was there. Ai shivered, fingers tightening around the scalpel's handle. Despite the glow, there was a lack of a certain life within that gaze. She felt like prey. Thankfully she was used to such a feeling due to the Crows, so she was able to quickly get a blood bag to the other's mouth.

As the tiny scientist watched the bag empty, she came to a conclusion. While the other could heal from probably most injuries, it would be safest for everyone if Kaito were to remain out of danger. Grimacing, she gave the other a few more blood bags to drain as she studied blood smears under a microscope. It wasn't until 5 bags were drained that she let Shinichi into the room, not feeling safe enough to remove the restraints herself. If it were up to her, she'd keep him restrained until he was no longer a danger to anybody. It wasn't up to her though. Shinichi would never approve.

"Why is he acting like that?" Shinichi inquired, eyeing Kaito with caution. The magician seemed to be somewhat zoned out as he silently drank blood at a more rapid pace than before he'd entered the lab.

"I put him under and cut into him" Ai admitted, she hadn't cleaned up the magician's blood before letting the sleuth in. Her eyes narrowed "I confirmed that Kuroba-kun is similar to the other vampires, but I was unable to affirm just how similar due to my lack of clearance"

Shinichi bristled "Cutting him open doesn't fall under the 'testing' category" It wasn't right.

Ai shrugged "He didn't stop me from drugging him" Her gaze narrowed "I'm also pretty sure that Kuroba-kun would consent to anything if it meant preventing him from harming anybody" That was something that she was sure of. Kaitou Kid was a very kind person, he valued life. The fact that said person was now unwillingly dangerous to those around him made it worse.

Glancing at the thief, Shinichi couldn't refute her words. Kaito was one of the gentlest people that he knew, and that was when Kaito didn't even need to worry about his actions affecting his personal life "That still doesn't make it right"

"We don't really have the leisure to be ethical here" Ai deadpanned "Kuroba-kun is dangerous, very dangerous. Especially if he goes down the same route as the others" The scientist met Shinichi's gaze "I'm going to be working under the assumption that we have a short time limit, until Kuroba-kun shows improvement, we can't be lax, not with this" Ai sighed "Think about Kuroba-kun's feelings, he'd probably never recover if he hurt someone else"

The sleuth touched at his bandaged neck, Hakase had helped patch him up. Shinichi pursed his lips, recalling that the thief had already killed Saguru. Once the shock wore out, would the other even be able to cope with his actions? Azure darkened with concern "Just ask first, at least do that" Ai was right, Kaito was a deadly threat.

"Okay" Ai frowned "But we need to decide on where he's going to say, he can't just go home without supervision" She'd kill him first, she didn't want to, but it was just too dangerous. From the look Kaito had had before succumbing to the drug, she was sure that the other would rather die than harm anyone else anyways. So killing him would be a mercy for him.

"Ah..." He hadn't thought about that "We'll stay in my house" He doubted that she'd want the magician to stay here.

"He should be contained when you're asleep or unable to monitor him"

"How would I even contain him? He's Kaitou Kid"

"I doubt I'd be able to pick a complicated lock if I wasn't myself"

Shinichi blinked, turning towards Kaito, noting that Kaito looked as clear headed as he could possibly be while sucking blood from a bag "You'd really be okay with being locked up?" The sleuth inquired softly, he'd never thought he'd see the day where the other would willing agree to being locked up.

Kaito offered a small nod, avoiding eye contact as he continued to sip blood. It tasted a bit different than the other bags, maybe it wasn't the sleuth's blood. He didn't want to hurt anybody "I won't really be locked up" Since he'd be able to escape whenever he wanted "It won't really be me who'd get locked up" It'd just be his body driven by horrible instincts.

"I-" Shinichi really didn't know what to say to that, his heart clenched. He was so used to the other being cocky, it was jarring "We'll fix this" Kaito would prove Ai's fears wrong. Tonight had just been a fluke from being hit with new instincts that he didn't understand. It had to be like that, it just had to be "You'll be back to stealing gems in no time"

A small smile tugged at the magician's lips, he didn't understand how the media thought that Shinichi was a cold person "No, I'm done with gems even if everything goes well" He was thankful for the kindness. He wanted to sink his teeth into him. The blood bags tasted flat.

Me: Do you agree with Ai's logic?... It's weird writing Kaito so subdued

Comment? ^-^

•-• I do not approve of the heating in my building being turned on so early. It's not cold enough outside to counteract it by opening my window

I prefer to be cold rather than warm, cold allows more snuggling in blankets