23. Bloody Directions

1022 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written April 15 2022
Posted May 1 2022

NEXT UPDATE is on May 15 2022

Shinichi had made sure to set the bands to allow distance between Kaito and himself before leaving the station. Getting to the park where the little girl Inko had been kidnapped would have been easy, but Kaito had been quick to set him and Sato on a different route in an attempt to lessen the distance. Following the exact route would take longer than just taking the shortcuts that Kaito was giving them.

"Your friend really knows how to think fast" Sato mused as she made a maneuver that was probably illegal in order to follow yet another route change.

The sleuth smiled awkwardly, seat belt fastened safely in place "I once mentioned your driving skills to him..." More like Kaito had seen them for himself once when he'd been checking in on him "He's taking advantage of your ability to take routes that most people wouldn't be able to" If it were anyone else driving, Kaito would be offering more sane and legal routes. He voiced Kaito's next instructions.

Sato just grinned, a glint in her eyes as she quickly swerved, doing an illegal U-turn in order to drive on the wrong side of the road before splitting off of the main road and onto a side road. Naturally this was all done while going over the speed limit "He sounds fun" Few people tolerated her driving like this "Is Takagi-kun freaking out?"

Shinichi couldn't help the small snicker that escaped him "I can hear him freaking out in the background" The poor guy sounded like he was close to having a heart attack "I'm pretty sure he might be a bit scared of Kaito now" The earpiece that Kaito had offered him a few weeks ago really was handy, not having to hold onto a phone was convenient.

"Beating around the bush would just waste time!" Kaito chirped before stating his next set of instructions that Shinichi repeated for Sato. Messing with Takagi was lightening his mood, the guy was just so easy to mess with.

"I see the false plate" Sato stated, amusement fading into seriousness now that the goal was in sight. No wonder she'd just been instructed to turn, following traffic normally. Her car wasn't visibly a police car, so it wouldn't raise any alarms if she drove normally.

"He should have said that we were close" Shinichi sighed, pulling out another device that Kaito had given him. The guy really carried the strangest things with him. Said device was tiny, but powerful, able to shoot a tiny disk shaped tracking device using air. It was a single use item, the lack of ammo was a sacrifice that'd been made in order to keep it small. Its shape was similar to that of a generic whistle, just without the actual whistle function. The sleuth stuck the device out the window and shot the van, a precaution in case they actually lost it.

"You've got even more cool stuff now?" Sato asked, a little jealous. Shinichi could get away with having better gadgets since he wasn't actually part of the police force.

Shinichi pocketed the device "Kuroba-kun is good at making things, I'm sure he'd be happy to make something cool for you"

"I could hack the traffic lights and stop both you and the kidnapper at a very long red light" Kaito offered, pleased at the praise.

The sleuth contemplated the offer for a few moments before agreeing "Fine, but do it carefully" They didn't need to deal with a traffic accident on top of a kidnapping. Sure enough, all the cars slowed to a stop at the next intersection that had a traffic light. Shinichi turned to Sato "I'm going in, back me up" Sato grabbed her gun as Shinichi exited the car, pretending to be interested in the car's front as he circled to it. It also moved him so that he was right behind the van. It was the sort that had no back windows so the driver wouldn't be able to see him. Shinichi was quick to pierce both back tires before walking up to the driver's side of the van, knocking on the window.

"What do you want?"

Shinichi blinked, the kidnapper was female, and in her early twenties "When I was checking my hood, I noticed that you had a flat tire" He frowned "Did you not notice the glass in the middle of the road?" He asked, knowing that it was actually quite rare for glass to actually cause a flat tire nowadays.

The woman twitched, fingers tapping restlessly against her steering wheel, looking a lot more strained than she had a few moments ago "Thanks, but I'm sure it will be fine. I'm almost home"

Pretending to buy the lie, Shinichi nodded, still looking concerned "That can't be safe..." He'd spotted Sato sneaking around the opposite side of the van. The people nearby were giving them weird looks.

"I'll deal with the consequences if there are any" The woman scoffed, waving her hand to shoo him away "Get in your car before the light changes" She frowned "Why is this red light taking so long?" She hissed under her breath.

He could just tranq her, but then her foot might end up on the gas pedal "If you say so..." He eventually replies, tone filled with unease. Sato was back in her car, motioning him to come back. He listened, slipping into the car and blinking in surprise when he spotted a little girl hiding in the back "You picked the lock?" Shinichi inquired as the light turned green. The van took off slowly, the tires weren't fully flat, yet.

Sato shook her head "No, Inko-chan unlocked the door for me. Thankfully there was a separator that kept the back hidden"

Shinichi offered Inko a grin "That was very brave of you Inko-chan" Inko didn't look to be harmed, just a bit shaken.

The girl blushed "It was nothing"

"You were brave enough to unlock the door, that's not nothing" Sato praised as she drove in the complete opposite direction of the van, not wanting Inko to get caught up in any trouble. They had the woman's face, and Shinichi's friend was probably still tracking the van.

Me: So the girl was saved~ And Takagi may have been spooked

Comment? ^-^

I'm dreading supper weather, like I always do every year. I wish it could just be skipped

Oh and kitty was cute