7. Blood Bank

1026 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own Mk/DC~

Written October 20 2021
Posted November 11 2021

Since Kaito was definitely not stable enough to be left on his own unsupervised, Shinichi was forced to lock Kaito's makeshift cell after replacing the used up blood bags with new ones. There was no way that he was going to take the other out with him, and leaving him to roam the house while he was gone did not seem like a good idea. Kaito's gaze had been hungry when he'd looked at him. The magician seemed to have decent control in regards to attacking people, but neither of them had wanted to risk it.

So the sleuth's morning was spent with him collecting animal blood from as many butchers as he could without it looking too odd. The blood was heavy, so he'd asked if they could deliver it, offering to pay whatever they wanted for said deliveries.

He really hoped that the animal blood would help since it would be a lot more fresh. Even if Ai did manage to develop a good synthetic blood that was able to keep the magician healthy, the odds of it seeming fresh were low. If the two were mixed, it could potentially help curb Kaito's thirst. That was only him guessing though, Shinichi had no idea if the idea was actually feasible. He had to hope though.

Buying some extra durable dog toys for Kaito to chew on was a bit flustering with Shinichi getting embarrassed on the magician's behalf. Human ones were targeted for babies, and Kaito's jaw was obviously a lot stronger than an infant's. On top of the dog toys, the sleuth bought a bunch of apples, peaches, and pears. They were all different textures and would allow the magician's fangs to sink in nicely. Even if Kaito didn't eat them, he could spit the fruit out and the fruit could be composted. It was a lot of fruit, so he decided to have that delivered to him as well. Thankfully there were many variations of the fruits, so hopefully Kaito wouldn't get too bored of the tastes.

Once Shinichi was done with buying an insane amount of fruit, the sleuth bought a bunch of chocolate flavoured taffy, various flavours and brands of gum, various hard candies, and mints after asking what flavours Kaito liked via text. The mints and hard candies would hopefully serve as a distraction when Kaito wasn't able to chew. He had the food set to be delivered as well.

Ai had informed him that while the magician would be able to eat normal food, his main source of nutrition would have to come from blood. Hopefully that would change to synthetic blood and animal blood. Even just animal blood would be a boon. There'd be less guilt involved if Kaito was consuming litres of animal blood instead of human blood. With how big the meat industry was, it would be easy to obtain the required amounts. They could even try to condense it so more could be consumed at a quicker pace.

With that all sorted out, Shinichi picked up a laptop for the magician to use at night. That way he could keep his own. He then headed home before he chanced running into someone that he knew.

"I have an idea" Shinichi stated as he gave Kaito a decent amount of the day's purchases. Not all of it would fit inside the cell, at least not without making the magician comfortable.

Kaito was eyeing everything with shock, the sleuth had gone above and beyond for him. He hadn't even thought about trying soft fruits instead of his wrist "An idea?" He inquired softly, picking up a yellowish apple. He was currently out of his cell.

"Yeah" Shinichi nodded "But it's dangerous and you'd have to be locked up real good just in case it doesn't work" He didn't like locking the other up, it didn't feel right.

"Oh?" Now Kaito was curious, and a little nervous "What's your idea?" He was going to agree no matter what it was, the sleuth had shown that he was trying his best to help.

"I want you to try drinking just animal blood for a day or two..." The sleuth paused, looking uncertain "Or until you lose control if my idea turns out to be a bad one" Shinichi glanced at the large piles of fruit that were scattered all over his living room in boxes "Lots of animal is just tossed out every day, so if it could work for you, that would be great"

Kaito pursed his lips, that seemed a bit risky, no, very risky "I want you to ask the little scientist first, no point in trying if it's been done before" He really hoped that it hadn't been attempted.

"Of course" Shinichi easily agreed, it made sense. He texted her, doing it that way was less likely to interrupt her if she was in the middle of something important. Thankfully he got a quick reply back telling him that he was stupid and that he better not get himself killed. Good, that meant that it was something worth trying since he hadn't received a flat out 'no'. Shinichi put his phone away, turning his attention back towards Kaito "She didn't say no, so it should be worth a try"

"...Am I able to contract diseases from blood?" The thought suddenly hit him. At least the human blood would have been better regulated from the animal blood.

Shinichi shook his head "Some of the tests revealed that your white blood cells decimate anything it doesn't like, Haibara already attempted to introduce diseases to some of the samples"

Kaito perked up, looking a little less haunted "Could I become the cure to cancer?" If he did end up as nothing more than a bloodthirsty monster, at least he'd still be able to be useful.

Azure darkened "Let's not get into that please?" Kaito seeming so eager to become a lab rat was disconcerting. Shinichi focused his attention on some random pears rather than the magician "You can do the tests yourself when you're able to be left alone unsupervised" Hopefully it would be a good incentive, Kaito had to like playing chemist right? He had all those smoke bombs after all.

Me: The title name is that because Shinichi bought a lot, using lots of money... So no more wrist biting? Yay. I despise the texture of pears, they're just so... bleh

I was shocked to look at the time to see that this was written in less than an hour 

Comment? ^-^

3• I bought frozen California mix (carrot, broccoli, cauliflower) the carrots are for my rats and the mini trees are for me

I like carrots, but they don't go soggy as quickly as the other two. Growing up on canned veggies has made me hate crunchy veggies

Broccoli is my fav veggie >~<... Cooked that is