26. Blood Rush

1029 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written May 21 2022
Posted June 13 2022

NEXT UPDATE will be on June 26 2022

Kaito wasn't exactly happy with the idea of Ran coming over and officially meeting him, but what was he to do? It wasn't his house, and he knew that Ran was someone that he'd inevitably meet anyways. The magician just wished that it could have been postponed for another day.

It was too late to decide to bolt, Shinichi was right next to him and would easily catch him. Sure technically he could overpower the other now, but that wasn't something that he wanted to do. So now Kaito was just sitting nervously on the couch, fuzzy blue blanket draped over his shoulders and wrapped around his front. There were a few empty bottles of blood sitting on the coffee table in front of him. Kaito eyed them "The bottles shouldn't be left out I guess..."

"Oh" Shinichi blinked "You're right, Ran will try to clean them if she sees them" Ran was unfortunately familiar with the smell of blood, it wouldn't be odd if she realized that the bottle's contents had once been blood. While he didn't want to lie to her, the sleuth knew that Ran was very bad when it came to scary things.

Kaito felt a little disappointed when the sleuth got up and collected the bottles, suddenly feeling a bit colder as a thought hit him. Shinichi and Ran had broken up because of all of the lies the sleuth had told, and now the sleuth was once again going to start lying to her. For him. Kaito's fingers curled, digging into the blanket's plush material. He couldn't let it happen again, he wasn't sure if their relationship would be able to handle another large bout of lies and if it could, it still wouldn't be healthy. Before he could think more on the subject, the sound of the front door opening caught his attention. Oh yeah, Ran had a key. She also probably didn't trust that Shinichi would let him in.

"Oh..."

Kaito offered a nervous smile as Ran eyed him with confusion, probably realizing how similar he looked to her friend "Hi Mouri-chan" He greeted, nervous. He'd only ever met her while he was Kid, and he hadn't really left the best of impressions around her. What if she realized who he was?

Ran's confusion morphed into a kind smile "It's nice to meet you Kuroba-kun" So this was Shinichi's new friend. Shinichi had been telling the truth, the guy really didn't look all that healthy. She walked over and placed a large bento box on the coffee table, she'd made a bunch of sandwiches "Is Shinichi in the library again?"

"No, I was washing a few things" Shinichi stated as he slipped into the living room, glad that he'd cleaned the bottles in time. He sat down next to Kaito, handing him a freshly filled bottle.

"Thanks" Kaito gratefully accepted it, taking a sip only to pause when smooth chocolate hit his taste buds instead of blood. His eyes widening in surprise before he greedily began to drink more of it. How long has it been since he'd really drank anything other than blood? The chocolate milk tasted so rich and delightful, almost as good as fresh blood. He kept his sips small, savouring the delectable taste.

Shinichi snickered at how Kaito had completely set his focus on the milk. While it may do nothing for his cravings, maybe chocolate milk off and on would be good for him.

"You two seem really close" Ran said softly, not wanting to snap Kaito out of the weird focus he was in. They seemed comfortable around each other in a way that told her they'd known each other for a long time... "Why have I not heard about him sooner?"

The sleuth grimaced "We weren't really all that close until recently..."

Ran nodded, allowing Shinichi to trail off. She appreciated that Shinichi was at least being open about not being able to tell her everything, they weren't his secrets after all.

"I attacked him and he decided to help me after I snapped out of it" Kaito blurted out, finished with his chocolate milk. He wouldn't allow the sleuth to risk his friendship with Ran because of him "I've recently become a vampire" He opened his mouth wide, showing off his dangerous fangs.

Shinichi gave Kaito a look as if he was wondering if he'd lost his mind as Ran squeaked and jolted away "Kuroba!" He hissed, quickly getting off of the couch to chase after Ran.

Kaito sighed, he'd been left alone. He didn't need Ran to like him, he just wanted Shinichi to be able to be truthful with her. The sleuth shouldn't ruin things for himself just to help him. He wilted, pulling the blanket up so that it was over his head. The darkness was calming, even if his eyes were now casting the faintest of red glows. Did his emotions affect the glowing? He had just drunk a few bottles of blood...

The magician shut his eyes then shook his head, taking the unease within him and just locking it away. His shoulders sagged as the tension left him. Shoving away emotions wasn't healthy, nor recommended, but it was useful, when it worked that is. He got up and left the couch, intentionally filtering out the rapid conversation that was occurring in the kitchen.

Maybe going for a walk would help calm him down, it was cloudy so he should be fine if he reapplies his sunscreen. He just... Needed to climb up the highest building he could find and jump from it. But to do that, he'd need his hang glider since becoming a red smear on the pavement wasn't really ideal. Kaito bit his lip, fangs drawing blood with ease. It wasn't ideal, but it would make things simple.

Nope! Kaito shook his head. What else could he do that'll give him an adrenaline rush but won't have the risk of any mistakes happening? It has been so long since he's gotten a good rush. Maybe that was what was missing in his life, he wasn't used to being so idle all the time. The cases he'd helped with so far weren't truly exciting enough to give him the rush he needed.

Me: So Kaito has prioritized Shinichi's relationships over making things easier for himself~

Comment? ^-^

I ended up not working 8 days in a row~ I only worked 7... I actually almost worked 7 days in a row again, but I declined because I had things I needed to do...

And I hit my head earlier that day, via my cat startling me while I was under the table, metal bar... =~=

She pounced and bit my ankle, of course I was startled

It hurt, and still hurt a bit a few days after, gah. Felt so nauseous at the end of that workday