21. Vibrant Blood

1030 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written March 5 2022
Posted March 17 2022

🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

Fantastic and meh news
Fantastic, I got my first job~
Meh? Well I'm autistic and change is stressful, so I'm doing one last update for each story (on their update day) then taking a maximum of a month vacation from posting.

This is to prevent me from being pressured to write when I don't want to, which will turn out poorer quality chapters

I've been good, consistent, and have yet to miss an update since I've entered this fandom... So vacation maximum of 1 month is deserved >~<

I'm just being cautious, it's my FIRST job

🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

NEXT UPDATE WILL BE ON OR BEFORE April 17 2022

Once Kaito was done eating, he looked at Shinichi expectantly. He actually felt a little better after eating the meal, but he was more interested in what had caused the other's strange reaction "So, mind telling me what's really the matter?" They'd both finished their meals, so it was time for Shinichi to fess up.

Shinichi eyed Kaito, studying the magician's new eyes "Nothing is really wrong" He paused "Or at least I don't see it as much of an issue" Now that he was more focused on Kaito's gaze, he couldn't note that the other's new eye colour was quite pretty. At Kaito's inquisitive look he continued "Your eye colour is now a vibrantly eye-catching shade of red" The colour of freshly spilt blood, but stating that out loud would undoubtedly upset Kaito. Complementing the colour would hopefully soften the blow "They're like rubies"

Kaito's eyes widened, showing off even more of the pretty colour before he averted his gaze downwards "Oh..." His response was soft. The change wasn't really as shocking as it should've been. He'd already realized that he was still changing, and his eyes had already been partially tainted with red, now they were fully tainted.

The sleuth frown, having expected Kaito to at least check to confirm the information "Hey" He pulled out his phone, then got up and stood next to Kaito, showing the screen as he changed the camera to face them both "It's okay, they're pretty" He was actually telling the truth "They may not be as nice as your original eye colour, but it's nicer than having a boring colour like brown" He felt a little bad for insulting people who had brown eyes, but he just wanted to uplift the other's spirit.

"My eyes don't look human anymore..." Kaito sighed.

While Shinichi couldn't refute that, maybe he could turn it into a good thing "So?" He offered a small smile "You're not human, so why do your eyes have to look human?"

"Because I want to at least look human?" Kaito scowled.

"Are you capable of making hard to remove, extra realistic fancy contact lenses?" Shinichi inquired, changing the subject.

Kaito blinked "Probably, but it would be a risk if they ever fell out..." His new eye colour was very striking.

"True" Shinichi nodded "But what if you just claim that you're wearing fancy contact lenses, and only put in fake ones when you're asked to remove the ones you're 'already' wearing? You're an eccentric person, people will eventually stop questioning it" People would also just assume that he was wearing contacts anyways "You could be all haughty and refuse to tell anyone how to get contacts as cool as yours are"

"I guess..." Kaito's shoulders drooped "It isn't like I wasn't already going to wear cat-eye contacts..."

"Another excuse could be that you had an eye injury and your pupils got all messed up so you took the opportunity to have the eye surgeon change your pupil shape. The trauma could have disrupted the flow of melanin for your Iris, allowing the blood vessels behind them to make your eyes look red" It was a weak, but somewhat scientific explanation "The human body can be weird, and only experimentation could disprove it" Shinichi offered a small shrug "The light sensitivity would be a side effect"

Kaito contemplated Shinichi's words for a bit before replying "I doubt that blood vessels would be able to explain my eye colour" He motioned towards said eyes with a hand "As you previously said, they're really vibrant"

Shinichi hummed "What if you needed a thin artificial implant in order for your eyes to retain their shape? Maybe the structure had a high risk of just failing so you took preventative measures, choosing a red implant instead of a clear one" He paused "Obviously the cornea area would be clear" He smiled "It could be malleable enough to follow how your pupils change"

The magician gave Shinichi a skeptical look "Many people would want to meet such a talented eye surgeon"

"Sadly the eye surgeon died in a car crash shortly after the procedure, and you've been hiding the work behind contacts because you were feeling sad whenever you saw the skilled work of the deceased surgeon" Shinichi smiled "You can hack to make the surgeon exist"

"...Feeling sad because of that is something that I'd do..." Kaito admitted, contemplating on if he was actually going to use the scientific route or not. It sounded easier in the long run, and his fangs could be additional body modifications rather than him wearing fake fangs. He eyed his reflection, the sleuth still hadn't turned off his phone "The accident could be from me messing up one of my magic tricks"

"That would work" Shinichi agreed. He really wanted Kaito to go with the scientific route, mainly so that he wouldn't be pressured to hide himself. He just knew that Kaito would garner many compliments for his new eye colour, and that would further boost the other's confidence in himself "Your eyes are pretty, so it should be fine"

Kaito's cheeks warmed a bit at the compliment. The sleuth had been complimenting his eyes a lot, even going so far as to allude to liking his original eye colour as well "It will be a lot of work" He mused. Kaito liked being complimented, so if he didn't hide his eyes... Would he get more compliments?

It'll be easy with how smart you are Kuroba-kun" Shinichi grinned, glad that the other's mood seemed to be lifting. It seemed like he'd actually managed to prevent Kaito from freaking out or becoming extremely upset. He almost couldn't believe that he'd succeeded.

"Encouraging me to hack..." Kaito offered a shy smile "Two months ago I would have never believed it"

Shinichi scoffed "You already knew that I wasn't above breaking the law if it meant saving someone" Listening devices, tracking devices, trespassing...

"Yeah, but it still feels kinda shocking for some reason" And it made him feel warm. The sleuth rarely lets criminals get away. He'd only witnessed it once when the only crime had been against the sleuth himself, he'd let the woman go after trying to rob in order to feed her children, after giving her some cash of course.

🚨🚨🚨YOU BETTER HAVE READ THE TOP NOTE!!!! ^-^

Me: Shinichi uses complements! It's very effective!... XP

Comment? ^-^

So excited, I think I've been hired. They never said "You're hired" but I'm going in today and they told me to bring my SIN and direct deposit info. The interview was yesterday too.

So that must mean I'm hired, right?  Training is today >~<

And it's slightly above minimum wage... Minimum wage was raised recently...

I will be a housekeeper at a hotel, I wanted to do something cleaning or shelf stocking since I like those things, a lot

My first time job searching and got one in less than a week, so happy!