25. Blood Connect

1016 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written May 7 2022
Posted May 29 2022

NEXT UPDATE will be on June 12 2022

Shinichi was surprised that Ran had actually answered the phone. He'd thought that he'd have to call her at least a few times before she answered "What do you want Shinichi?" The sleuth grimaced, Ran sounded angry, and her anger was actually warranted.

"Hi Ran..." He trailed off awkwardly before speaking up "How have you been doing lately?" It would be better for them to talk a bit first before he asked for advice... It would ease her anger, at least by a little bit.

"Oh I don't know... I've just been ignored for the last month or so, nothing much" Ran's sarcasm laced words formed guilt to form in the sleuth "Not telling your best friend that you've switched to online schooling is totally normal, especially while just disappearing. Again"

"I'm sorry" He was lucky that Ran had even decided to talk to him. He'd messed up, again "Something happened, and I needed to lie low in order to give it all of my attention"

There was some silence before Ran responded, though she sounded more tense than angry this time "Is it like last time? You still haven't told me everything that happened last time..."

"No" Shinichi quickly shook his head despite the fact that Ran wouldn't see the action "Not like that" He quickly added "But something terrible happened to a close acquaintance of mine and he came to me for help" Shinichi paused "I can't really tell you the details, but he really needs help... And we both know that I'm not the best equipped with helping people deal with their emotions"

"Tell me what you can" Ran answered when the sleuth didn't say any more.

The sleuth told her what he could. He explained Kaito's sudden changes in mood, his guilt, fear, and self and his own fear of what would happen if he failed to help the magician. Kaito could just leave and never come back... How he was scared that if Kaito did leave, the teen might kill himself. The thought chilled him, but it was an outcome that he couldn't just pretend didn't exist.

"Is professional help really out of the question?" Ran asked softly. The person Shinichi was trying to help sounded to be really bad off if her friend's thoughts were correct.

"He can't really tell just anyone what happened..." Shinichi pursed his lips "It's bad, really bad... Things seem to be looking up in the physical sense but I just can't tell emotion wise" His voice softened "He's a good actor"

Ran sighed "I'm still angry at you, but I'm coming over. I want to meet your new friend"

Shinichi tensed, alarmed "I don't think that today is a good day, maybe tomorrow?" Kaito was probably still huddled under his blanket "I think he got overwhelmed?" He wasn't sure exactly, but it was clear that Kaito wanted to be alone right now.

"I'm still coming over, I'm not giving you the chance to go run away somewhere" Ran huffed, unamused.

The sleuth knew that this was a battle that he couldn't win, so he sighed "Fine, but don't bring any seafood, he has an aversion to it"

"I'll see you soon" With that Ran hung up on him.

Shinichi pocketed his phone, oddly tired after his talk with Ran. It had felt good to let some of his feelings out. Now he just needed to inform Kaito that they were going to have an unexpected visitor soon. Thankfully he knew Ran had enough common sense to not bring Sonoko with her.

Delaying would just make it worse, so he just headed downstairs to speak with Kaito "Ran is coming over today" He stated once Kaito's blanketed form was in sight.

Under the blanket, Kaito paled "I'll stay hidden in a guest room until she's gone" The sleuth's childhood friend looked too much like his own childhood friend. He wasn't sure if he'd be able to stomach seeing her.

Shinichi grimaced "She wants to meet you..."

Kaito poked his head out from under the blanket, eyes glowing a soft red as his lips curled in distaste "Why?" Had Takagi told someone with a loose mouth about where he was staying?

The sleuth looked away guiltily "I needed advice, we both know that I'm not all that great at helping people with their emotions..." He paused "And I'm worried about you"

Frowning, Kaito played with the hem of the blanket "You didn't need to ask for advice, everything's been getting better"

"You're my friend now, it's normal for me to be concerned" Shinichi sighed "Plus you were bound to be found out by her eventually"

Kaito leaned over to grab a bottle of blood, taking a few comforting sips from it before replying "From my knowledge, I know that Mouri-chan isn't good with scary things" He licked his lips before flashing his fangs "Is this even a good idea?"

"I told her what we've decided to tell everyone, she'll be fine so long as she doesn't realize that you're drinking blood" Shinichi offered, walking over to sit beside Kaito.

The magician wilted a bit, still not completely sold on the idea. Though he did refrain from scooting away when Shinichi's shoulder brushed his own. The contact was nice "She looks like my friend, I'm not sure if I could face her" He admitted softly.

Oh, Shinichi hadn't been expecting that "I could ask her to put on makeup or wear her hair a certain way?" Ran would understand if he explained why.

Kaito shook his head "No, it should be fine. Aoko's clothing choices are somewhat more childish, and her hair is messier than Mouri-chan's" They also gave off different feelings.

"Yeah, I noticed when I looked you up, it just hadn't clicked that seeing Ran might be hard for you" The sleuth admitted. Photos and videos of Aoko wielding a mop or some other object were plentiful in regards to Kaito. The two's antics were apparently famous at Edoka High.

"Can I just sleep through the visit?" Kaito asked "I'm tired" He drank more blood "And I've ruined my blood drinking schedule, I've drunk too much today" And he still wanted more and more.

"Sorry, Ran would probably stay and wait for you to wake up"

Me: So Ran is going to meet Kaito... I wonder how it will go~

Comment? ^-^

Gah, I got scheduled to work 8 days in a row, thankfully my schedule is going to be fixed soon