17. Bloody Luck

1025 Words excluding (A/N)~ I no own MK/DC~

Written January 25 2022
Posted February 10 2022

Unfortunately, their good luck finally ended. It was bound to happen eventually, Shinichi had just hoped that it would last just a bit longer. At least long enough for Kaito's first daytime outing to conclude. It wasn't to be.

The sleuth eyed Kaito warily before approaching the dead body. The magician had somehow found a way to pale even further and was slowly inching away from the bloody mess. Shinichi inspected the body, it was somewhat stiff and the blood had already started to dry around him in a splatter. Azure gazed skywards, towards the bridge. It was possibly suicide, but he wanted to double check to make sure it wasn't. Beika had a surprisingly high rate of murders being disguised by suicides.

"I snatched a nearby video camera"

Kaito's voice startled the sleuth. Shinichi turned away from the body, blinking in surprise at the camera Kaito was holding out to him "Where did you even get that?" It was an old one that stored around a day's worth of memory on it before sending it off to a cloud.

Offering a small smile, Kaito pointed to one of the pillars supporting the bridge's weight "I climbed up to get it" He was glad that he wouldn't have to hack into the cloud that the camera was connected to. It had been planted just high enough that it'd see the top of the bridge.

Shinichi just sighed "I'll call Takagi-Keiji and inform him that we found a body, can you access the footage or do you need some tools?" The officer was a fan of cameras, and he would be more lenient about the fact that Kaito had snatched a public camera.

Kaito hummed, examining the camera "It should connect fine to my phone, but wouldn't viewing it be considered tampering?" Despite the sleuth's reputation, he wasn't a legal officer of the law.

"That's why I'm going to call Takagi-Keiji" Shinichi smiled, the comment had surprised him. He was glad that the other seemed to understand that doing things illegally wouldn't be good in the long run. It contributed to a lot of paperwork and he wasn't Conan anymore so he actually had to do said paperwork.

Now that he no longer had an active task to do, Kaito retreated under the bridge to avoid the sun. Even though the body couldn't possibly be that old, the blood smelt disgusting to him. A small relief in the sense that he wouldn't be drooling over corpses, but a relief all the same. Maybe contaminated blood was even less appealing than old blood? The blood had mixed with the dirt on the ground after all and the blood in his bottles should actually be older than it.

He didn't like seeing dead people, he actually hated it. He needed to help the sleuth though, so instead of taking off like he'd wanted to, he'd made himself useful. Just because he didn't like to see dead people, it didn't mean that he should avoid the situation. Kaito had agreed to help Shinichi when it came to cases, because he needed to atone for what he did to Saguru. Sure he's helped out before, but that was usually from behind the scenes. Now he was going to take an active part in the investigations.

Kaito did his best to stay calm. The combined anxiety of being both outside and near a dead body wasn't doing him any favours. He took a few sips of blood. Anxiety made him crave it so he needed to calm himself. Thankfully the cravings were for comfort reasons rather than actual need so he could satisfy himself with just a taste or two.

Blood being something that comforted him wasn't a comforting thought at all. Logically it made sense. Some people eat food to comfort themselves, so him consuming blood was kinda the same. Those people didn't need to eat a bunch of junk food, but it made them happy, and sometimes sad afterwards.

"Hey Kuroba-kun, Takagi-keiji is here"

Kaito grimaced, snapping out of his thoughts. He'd ended up drinking a fair amount of blood as he'd thought about drinking blood. He hadn't even noticed that he'd zoned out "Ah, right" He hurried back over to Shinichi, who was standing next to the officer.

Takagi eyed Kaito curiously "I don't remember ever seeing you around before" Shinichi seemed quite familiar with the other. They also looked somewhat similar, except that the new stranger looked to be ill.

"Kudo-kun and I have decided to work together for the foreseeable future" He offered a nervous smile, noting how the officer immediately noticed his fangs "We have different skill sets but work well together"

"Ah, I see" Takagi was curious about the other's fangs, but the guy seemed somewhat skittish so he refrained "Since Kudo-kun has vouched for you, I'm sure we'll get along" It was nice to see the guy with someone who wasn't Ran, or Hattori for a change. Everyone at the station will be pleased when they hear that the sleuth might have made a new friend.

"Now that Takagi-Keiji is here, can you open up the footage?" Shinichi inquired, glad that the meeting seemed to be going fine. He'd be able to count on the other to spread word of Kaito's intended involvement. His own word was worth a lot in the eyes of everyone in division one, so soon the magician's word would have weight too. Not as much as his own, but enough to comfortably build off of.

Kaito nodded "Of course" He went ahead and connected the camera to his phone, tilting the screen so that both Shinichi and Takagi could view it. He scrolled through the footage until they saw the man who'd died. Kaito couldn't help his eyes from narrowing as he noted that the guy hadn't been alone. So either the woman was a coward, or she was a murderer, they'd find out soon.

The video had the two talking, leaning against the railing, the guy dropped something and crouched to pick it up. Suddenly the woman pushed him, taking advantage of how his head was below the safety railing.

"Well..." Takagi trailed off for a moment "At least we have her face"

Me: Of course a body had to drop, it was long overdue XP

Comment? ^-^

I finally changed my phone plan to include data >~< just for when I need to search stuff up

Now instead of $30CAD I PAY 35$ Plus tax for unlimited call/text etc and 5GB

I don't know how people deal with 80$+ plans, bleh

🚨🚨🚨🚨DO NOT READ BELOW IF YOU DON'T WANT EPISODE 1036-1037 SPOILED🚨🚨🚨🚨

🚨

🚨

🚨

:0 I really really liked the most recent Conan (anime) case 1036-1037...

The way the detective boys were hunted through the blizzard... I really enjoyed that. >~< need more criminals that aren't afraid to kill children in the show

Sometimes the filler episodes are so great, some of my favs are fillers XP