Late

Dear Diary.

  Living with this secret is almost as bad as when he touched me.  I avoid that hallway at all costs, and if I absolutely HAVE to walk by, I RUN.  I feel the child I was is gone.  I don't feel like Jessica anymore.

Everyone I know wants to hurt me.  I just want to run away.  I can't do this anymore.

**

The last day of school.

Jessica was so relieved this day finally came.  Going to school everyday was hell to her.

Jessica didn't have any summer plans, but anything had to be better than this.

At the end of the day Jessica emptied her locker.  Just as she put all of her things in her backpack she heard a familiar voice.

"Jessica!  There you are."

Jessica gasped and her eyes went wide.

"I've missed you."

Jessica ignores him and quickly picks up her things.

"No one has ever made me feel the way you do." Edwin says as Jessica shuts her locker.

"Where do you think you're going?" He takes her by the arm.

"Please." Jessica says on the verge of tears.

"Jessica!" She hears a girl call her name.

Jessica turns.  She didn't think anyone even knew her name.  They only ever called her mean nicknames.

"You ready?" The young girl smiled.

"Huh?"

"Let's go, we're gonna be late!" The girl took her by the arm and quickly walked away.

"What are you doing?" Jessica asked.

"Getting you away from that creep!"

"Oh!  Thank you.."

"No problem.  The names Sarah."

"Hi Sarah.." Jessica said in a low voice.

"Sorry I've never introduced myself before now.  I just.."

"It's okay.  It's probably embarrassing to be seen with me."

"Nah it's just.. These people are mean."

"Yeah.. Thank you for getting me away from that guy.."

"No problem!  Wanna hang out?"

"Oh!  I uh.. I'd have to ask my foster parents."

"You're in foster care?"

"Yeah.."

"Do you like the family you're with."

Jessica nods softly. "Not really."

"I'm sorry.  Hey why don't we just go for a burger or something?  I stole money from my mom's wallet.  It's my treat." Sarah smiles.

Jessica gives Sarah a tiny smile. "Sure.  We can go for a quick bite."

**

"You're really cool, Jess.  Kinda quiet, but cool!"

"Thank you.. I uh.. I should probably get home."

"Okay!  Well here's my number.  We should text."

"I don't have a phone.."

"You don't have a phone?  What!"

"Yeah.. they're kinda strict."

"Well can you get on the computer?"

"Yes."

"Then we'll go old school like our parents.  Here's my email."

Jessica smiles. "Alright.  Thanks for today.  I don't have any friends and.. this was really fun."

"You have a friend now." Sarah smiles.

"Yeah.. I do.  Thanks."

**

Jessica walked home.  She knew Billy and Suzanne were going to be angry with her for being late.  She just wasn't expecting them to be this furious.

Jessica walked in and said, "I'm sorry I'm late!  I was-"

Billy slaps Jessica across the face mid sentence.

"Ow!" Jessica cries out in pain.

"Where the hell were you?  You know the rules, Jessica."

"She was probably with her boyfriend.  Were you out trying to get mister janitor to touch you again?" Suzanne asks.

"I was with a friend."

"You don't have any friends.  Now tell us where you were!"

"I'm telling the truth!  Edwin-"

"Hah!  So it was this guy."

"No!  Please listen to me!"

"Do not yell at your mother." Billy grabs her wrist as tight as he possibly can.

"Ow!  Stop it, you're hurting me!" Jessica shouts. "And she's not my mother!"

Suzanne didn't like that and kicked Jessica in the shin.

"OW!  Stop!"

"What were you doing?!"

"This girl named Sarah.. she saved me from that man.  She took me to get a burger.  I'm sorry I took so long, it just.. it felt nice to talk to someone.  She was so nice to me."

"You a lesbian now?"

Jessica cries softly. "She's my friend."

Bill grabs Jessica by the hair and roughly pushes her towards the stairs.

Jessica falls forward and hits her leg pretty hard.

"You're grounded.  Go upstairs and bring me your laptop."

"No!  Please!"

"What do you even need it for?  It was for school only."

"I just.. Please let me keep it.." Jessica's voice was so broken down.

"No.  Go get it right now!"

Jessica cries and walks upstairs.  She puts her backpack down and grabs her laptop to take to Bill.

When she hands it over Bill snatches it from her and slaps her once again. "Don't you EVER think of doing this again.  Do you understand?"

Jessica holds her cheek and cries softly.

"DO YOU UNDERSTAND?"

"Yes sir!"

"Now go upstairs!"

Jessica got into bed fully clothed and curled up in a ball and cried.

She went from being happy to being hurt and alone.  How much more could this little girl take?