I need you Today

As soon as Danny got home he shouted for his parents.

"Daniel, we are right here stop screaming!" Zoe says from the couch.

"Danny, my ear!' Anjelica whines.

"Here.  Take this." He hands her to his father.

"How was the zoo, honey?" John smiles to his sleepy daughter.

"It was fun, Daddy!"

"NO ONE CARES!" Danny shouts.

"Daniel!"

"Listen!  Jessica just told me she's ready to marry me!"

"Wow!  Really?"

"What did you say?" John asks.

"I-I-I just stood there.  She told me, she smiled, and then she walked in the house.  Didn't even repeat it when I asked.  So now I'm freaking out and- and I should go back and propose." Danny walks towards his front door.

"No Danny, stop!" Zoe says.

"Oh right, a ring!  Mom, give me your ring!"

"My wedding ring?  NO!"

"Don't people do that?  Give their wives some dead lady's ring?"

"I am not dead, Daniel!" Zoe gives her son a look.

Danny sighs. "Sorry, I'm just really shocked right now.  I-I don't know what to do.  I want her to have the most beautiful ring.  So much better than yours mom, no offense dad."

"That was harsh, but it's okay.  Son, you're nineteen.  You really want to get married right now?"

"I want to get married whenever Jessica is ready.  Dad.. from the moment we met at only twelve years old.. she had Isla in that big ol' belly.. and she was perfect.... The most beautiful girl I had ever seen.. I loved her even then.."

"I'm the most beautiful!" Anejlica interrupts.

"Not when you play with toilet water, Anjelica."

"Ew!" John puts her down quickly. "Go get ready for your bath."

"I wanna stay!  Can I be in the wedding?"

"Anj, please go I'm talking to mom and dad."

Anjelica makes a face and stomps out of the room mumbling under her breath.

Danny continues, "It was never a crush.  I have loved that girl since day one.  I was there when Isla came out of her.  That little girl will never be my blood, but she is mine and Jessica's.  I don't care if Jessica changes her mind and doesn't want to get married for another twenty years.  I want my ring on her finger.  I'm buying the most beautiful ring I can hopefully get on a payment plan."

"My baby boy is all grown up." Zoe tears up.

"You know what you have to do first, don't you?"

"I have to talk to uncle Doug.  I'm scared."

"Oh he's a big grump, but a little softy lives in there." Zoe smiles.

"I'm gonna text him and see if we can meet somewhere tomorrow.  Gosh I can't believe I'm getting married!" Danny smiled a big goofy smile.

***

The next morning Doug met Danny at iHop.

Danny stood as soon as he saw Doug walking towards the table. "Good morning Uncle Doug- Mr. Paulson.. Uncle Mister."

"Sit down, Daniel."

"Yes sir."

"How are you?  What's up?"