What they've done

11:00 pm.

Since leaving the house Jessica has been walking.  She didn't know where she was going, but she walked until her legs got tired.

The neighborhood she was in wasn't the best, but Jessica was just happy to be away from her foster parents.

Jessica sat on the side of a gas station where no one could see her and she pumped.  She then curled up in a ball and cried.

She wondered if Bill and Suzanne even knew she was gone.  Did they even care if they did know?

Jessica was starving but didn't pack any food.  That's when she decided to walk into the sketchy gas station store to find something to eat.

Jessica didn't have any money, but she knew she needed something.  She grabbed a candy bar and a small bag of chip and hid them in her jacket.  She then left the store.

Jessica then sat down and started eat.

"Oh man a drink!" She signed.
"Well.. I mean.. I guess I can drink this.  It's mine anyway.  Isla loved it." Jessica says before taking a sip of her breast milk.

"Hm it's not bad."

Just a few minutes later a cop pulled up and stepped out of his car.

Jessica began to panic.

"Hello." He smiled.

"Hi.."

"It's late.  What are you doing out here?  Your parents are probably looking for you."

"No.  I don't have any parents."

"Where do you live?  It's not safe for you to be out here."

"It's safer than being at home, trust me."

"Home isn't so good, huh?"

"No.."

"Wanna come with me down to the station?"

Jessica looked up to him with fear in her eyes.

"I'm not arresting you, don't worry.  I just want you to be somewhere safe until we get you where you need to be."

"Okay.."

"I know you swiped those from the store here.. have you eaten anything else today?"

"No sir.
.. I'm sorry I stole.. I just.... I'm so hungry."

"It's okay.  Well it's not okay to steal but the old guy inside said you looked like you needed it.  He just called us so you'd be safe."

"Oh.. that's nice.  Can you please tell him thank you, and that I'm sorry?  Please tell him I'll pay for it when I get money."

"Of course.  Let's go on.. there are some scary people out here."

**

Jessica rode in the back of the police car with her bag in her lap.  The drive was silent.  The officer could see this child has been through a lot.

When they arrived Jessica was given a plate of food.

"Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome.  We eat more than just coffee and donuts." He says trying to lighten the mood.

Jessica smiles softly.
They let Jessica eat in peace before they speak to her.

A woman officer walks in and smiles sweetly.

"Hello sweetie!"

"Hello.."

"How are you?"

"Not good.. But I'm happy to eat so, thank you."

"You're very welcome.
  Do you mind telling me what's been going on?"

Jessica starts crying softly. "It's such a long and messed up story.  I was with a foster family, I was bullied, my parents hit me.  The school janitor raped me and I got pregnant.  Originally I planned to give the baby away.. well not at first.  I wanted an abortion but I was too far along in my pregnancy.  Then I chose adoption.  But when I gave birth which was almost a week ago, I didn't want to give her away.  My best friend's parents said they'd take me and my baby in, but my foster parents forged my signature on the adoption papers, and those people have my baby!" Jessica is now sobbing.

"They won't let me stay with my friend, so I ran away.  I don't want to go back to them.  Please don't make me go back to them!  They did this to me!" Jessica points to her bruises and her busted lip. "She hit me!"

"Oh sweetie.. You're not going back to them.  Tell me, what are their names?  What is your full name?"

Jessica had a very mature feel to her, yet she still seemed very child like.  Just looking into her eyes the woman could see this child has had a very difficult life.

"My name is Jessica Lange.. I'm only twelve years old, and I've been through so much.  I want those people to pay for what they've done to me.  All of them."