A Surprised

"Well how was your day?" Doug asked as Jessica walked into the house and threw herself on the couch.

"Exhausted?" He chuckled.

"Very. I'm pooped. She was terrified. Didn't let me put her down once. My legs feel like noodles, my arms are so sore, my back is killing me! And I smell like a horse!"

"You poor thing. Go upstairs and take a hot shower, your mom and I will watch her."

"You sure?"

"Of course."

"Thank you so much." Jessica hugs her father and cries softly. "I smell so bad!"

Doug chuckles and rubs her back. "Yeah you do."

Jessica looks up to him with a pout.

"It's okay. I love you anyway.. stink and all."

Jessica smiles before laying her head on him and holding him tighter. "Thanks dad."

Just then Danny walks in.

"Hey! How was the field trip?"

"Exhausting! Danny, don't look at me, I need to take a shower."

"What?"

"Where's Sarah?" Doug asked.

"She's hanging out with some guy."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. She didn't tell you about that?"

"No she did not."

"Oh." Danny smiles. He then turns back to Jessica and asks, "Babe, you okay? You look like you're in pain."

"I am. Isla made me carry her all day because she was afraid of the animals."

"Aw." He pouts. "I can give you a full body massage." He smirks.

Doug gives him a look and Danny backs away.
"I mean, I can tell you some jokes to brighten your day!" He smiles.

Jessica chuckles and nods her head.
"Let me take a shower and we can hang out. Or you can sit with me while I sleep." She smiles.

"Whatever you want, babe." Danny smiles back.

"I don't want y'all to think I didn't enjoy my time with my child. She enjoyed our lunch. We had a picnic on the ground.. she sat on top of me the whole time, but it was nice." Jessica looks to Isla playing with her toys and she smiles softly.

"I haven't held her like that for so long since she was a baby.. so that part was really nice."

Isla looks up to Jessica with a smile. She waves her little hand and Jessica giggles and waves back. "Come here, cutie."

Isla runs to her mother and Jessica picks her up.

"I enjoyed our Mommy Daughter day."

"Me too, Mama!  We can go to da park tomorrow!"

Jessica laughs. "Okay!  We can do that."

"Just me you, me you?"

"Just me you, me you!" She giggles.

"Yay!" Isla hugs her mother and kicks her legs with excitement.

"Mama?"

"Yes, baby?"

"You smell like a cow."

Jessica laughs. "And you smell like a piggy.  Come on, we'll jump in together and save on water."