Another Puppy

"Gaga's having a baby!  Gaga's having a baby!" Isla cheers and kicks her legs with excitement.

Jessica laughs and hands her to Catherine.

"I'm not pregnant, Isla."

"Gaga you can get a baby!  You don't got growing like mommy!"

"Yeah Gaga!" Jessica smiles.

Catherine gives her a look, and Jessica gives her one back.

"Why are you mad at me?" Catherine asks in a sad voice.

"I'm not mad, mom.  But if I had sex, don't you think I'd tell you?"

"Well that's what I thought!  That's why my feelings were hurt.."

"Aww.. Momma, I promise you that I will tell you if that day ever comes."

"IF?" Danny shouts with wide eyes.

Everyone turns to him and Jessica makes a face.

"I mean.. Yes.."

Jessica rolls her eyes and turns to her mother.

"It's okay.  You're such a good girl and I should have known, Jessie.  I'm so sorry."

"Don't apologize, Momma." Jessica hugs Catherine.

"So sex?" Isla says. "That's how babies get in your tummy?"

Sarah starts cracking up.  She then sits on the couch and puts her feet on the coffee table. "Go ahead and explain this.  I want to watch."

***

April.

"Mom, I really need to get a job.  I know you and dad said I don't need one, but I feel bad.  I should get a job and start saving for mine and Isla's future."

"When do you have time to work, honey?"

"Well.. What if I get a job at a daycare?  I can work after school, and Isla can be sent there so she's still with me."

"I don't know.  There are so many germs at a daycare."

"Mom please.  I'm doing the best I can.  I can't work in retail, I refuse.  And this way I still get to be around Isla.  Plus I know how to take care of a child.  This is perfect for me!"

"Okay.  If this is what you really want, then go ahead."

"Oh thank you!  I applied yesterday and I start tomorrow!  I love you, Mom!" Jessica kisses her cheek.

"What?  You already got the job?"

"Yeah sorry.. I had Danny take me yesterday.  Are you mad?"

"I'm not mad.  I'm proud of you, but next time discuss it with me and dad first."

"Yes ma'am." Jessica smiles.

"So do I pick Isla up and drop her off with you?"

"No, you'll only have to pick her up on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I work on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, so the daycare will pick her up and bring her."

"A stranger will be driving my grand baby?"

"It's literally five minutes away, mom."

"Alright.. Well if this is what you want.  But remember you can quit at any time!"

Jessica chuckles. "Thanks mom."

Catherine smiles and hugs her daughter.

***