Chapter 28: "One Hazelnut Latte, please."

~Saturday, Seoul National University~

Jieun's POV:
I reached the venue and saw Jimin sitting in the seat of Freudians. Wow, this was actually a pretty big event. Very well managed, too. Park Jimin's eyes met mine and he smiled. He walked towards me. "Hey! You're the one I met that day in the restaurant. Dad said I'll meet you here. I kinda just thought the name was a coincidence," he said. "You're Professor Park's son?" I asked. "Yep, that's me," he said. He asked me which side I'll be picking. "I'll be spectating as a Freudian," I said. "Interesting. You don't seem happy about that," he said. "Yeah, I hate him," I said, unfazed. He laughed loudly. "Oh dear! Have you come here because of my father?" he asked, still giggling a little. "Yes. He said I should attend and it would be eye-opening," I responded. "I promise you'll enjoy it," he said. He went back to his seat.

The debate started. It was so intense. But I expected that because these were exact opposite schools of thought. The Skinnarians were strong, but they were missing a lot of great points. I itched to go and take part as a Skinnarian but I knew I had to stay true to my assignment. The Freudians actually gave me a lot to think about. Making a mental note to read about Freud all over again with the approach I was learning now, I focused at what the Freudians would bring now. Jimin actually didn't speak much, but what little he spoke, he made great points. Professor Park was right. This changed me. A lot.

As the debate finished, I had a smile on my face even though the Freudians won. I was walking away from here with an entirely new approach. I was a better person after this. I knew I had to thank Professor Park. In my own thoughts, I didn't notice Jimin walking next to me. "I had that smile after my first time here too," he said, breaking my chain of thought. "You were great, even though you spoke less," I said. "I was actually just part of it to see what the Skinnarians would argue for my points. I attend every week from different ends. Most of the content is same. I collect new points, and see what the opposition has to argue. If it's good, I note it, and say it the next time to see the rebuttal. Just because I want to learn about them more. I'm actually neither a Skinnarian nor a Freudian, I don't know enough about the subject to pick a side. But Skinner has a small up for me because I simply can't fathom a concept like unconscious. It's beyond me," he said. I just looked at him. I couldn't bring myself to say anything. I would very rarely have conversations like these with people my age. It would always be with older people. I was overjoyed. "Let's get something to eat," I said. He smiled and immediately agreed.

At the cafe, we both quickly ordered a snack. We took a seat and I asked him, "What is your profession? And how do you know so much about all this?" He replied, "I'm a writer. Well, want to be. I write small columns for magazines now. I don't know if you read Psych Daily." "Are you kidding? I am a subscribed reader! It arrives at my clinic every week! Oh. My. God. You're that Park Jimin?! That's how I knew your name! Oh my God, I really enjoy your articles! Very insightful! I sometimes suggest them to my clients and also to my assistant! They're great!" I said. "Thanks," he said shyly. "I know about all this through my dad. I've always had an interest in Psychology, it's a lovely subject, but I don't have the patience to dive deeper. These debates are a great way of knowing more and widening my horizons to write for the magazine. And writing is something I really enjoy, it's relaxing. Therapeutic, in my own way," he said. I smiled at his answer. "That's great," I said with a wide smile.

I couldn't remember the last time I smiled so fully. Was it because of our conversation or was it because of Jimin? "Can I let you in on a secret? Your therapist aura makes me want to tell you things about myself," he said. "Sure, go ahead," I said, giggling.

"I actually really like romcoms. Wanna write one," he said. My eyes widened. I hadn't met a man who said he liked reading romcoms. And I said that to him. "Are you sure? Do we, men, dislike romcoms or are we just too afraid to admit we like it because of gender roles and societal norms saying, 'Men need to be tough and not mushy romantics.'?" This conversation really reminded me of my first talk with Namjoon, except, the roles were reversed a little. I broke into a genuine smile at his answer. He smiled too. "What's your favourite romcom?" I asked. "I don't like cliches and cringy content. It needs to have a storyline. Can't just be boy meets girl, they fall in love and happily ever after. It needs to celebrate love and what it feels like. So, Me Before You. That book is what I think love is like," he said.

This whole situation reminded me of Namjoon too much. I was afraid I'll break into tears right here. But I somehow managed to compose myself and said, "I have probably read that book 30 times. The end always gets me." He smiled. We spoke a little more and I actually liked talking to him. He was pretty nice. We shared a lot of interests.

After a while, Jimin said, "Allow me to take you out some time." I looked at him, shocked. It had been a long time since I had heard those exact words. "I'll be busy, Mr. Park," I said. "Just Jimin, please. And you're here now," he said. "That's different-" I started but he interrupted, "You're finding excuses, Ms. Jieun. You're not a very nice liar," he said with a smile. "It's complicated," I said. He sighed and said, "Okay, let's make this fun. Since we're sitting in a cafe, if I get your coffee order right, you'll let me take you out. If you don't like the date, you can absolutely ghost me. And if I get it wrong, then I'll never talk to you again. But if I do get it right, you give me your phone number. C'mon, one date. And you can't deny today was fun. Just one date, I promise," he said.

I was absolutely stunned. Why was this happening? This is hurting me too much. This is all too familiar.

But I dont know why I said, "Fine."

He walked towards the counter, stayed there for quite some time and said, "One Hazelnut Latte, please."

Oh, shit.

He got it right.

------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N : Again, do we notice the parallels?
If not, you can refer to Chapter 2.