Story 15--Nothing but Net!

Guide

(Y/N): Your Name

(H/C): Hair Colour

The basketball bounced against your palm and onto the ground as you ran across the court in the early evening, preparing yourself for the varsity girl's basketball team tryouts at San Fransokyo High, which was the next day. You weren't that bad in basketball--in fact, you were the star player back in middle school--however, tonight you were just losing it. You missed every shot, and you tripped over your feet a lot while doing a simple layup.

"Come on!" you scolded yourself. "Get your head in the game!"

You stared at the net as you gained momentum, preparing yourself to do a layup, and you jumped and released the ball.

THUNK!

The ball bounced off the backboard and rebounded to the other side of the court.

"What the hell, (Y/N),' you muttered to yourself again, running after the ball. You decided to try and do a half-court shot so you bent your knees and jumped, releasing the ball.

CLANG!

The ball this time bounced off the ring and rebounded towards you with such speed you didn't have time to react before it hit your nose.

"OW!" you cried out, clutching onto your bleeding nose.

Little did you know that by this time, your best friend Hiro was taking a walk when he heard you scream at the outdoor basketball courts. He sprinted towards you, though you didn't notice him until he asked, "(Y/N), you okay?"

You immediately groaned and turned towards Hiro. "Hey Hiro. I'm fine. Just that the stupid basketball had to rebound and hit my nose."

"Ah, it didn't go in the net, didn't it?" Hiro noted.

"This isn't the time to be funny!" you cried. "Look, you know me so well as the star player of the basketball team back in middle school--though it's not like you cared, you were in high school by then. And I really want to make the varsity girl's basketball team at San Fransokyo High and retain the title, but I'm losing focus. The tryouts are tomorrow, and if I zone out again like this, what would I become?" You shook your head. "I can't do this, Hiro."

Hiro extended a hand and helped you up, taking out a couple tissues and pressing them to your nose. "Hey, I've seen you play before. You're an amazing player."

"But I'm losing it!" you protested. "I can't get a single ball in the net, and I'm injuring myself to this state already. Keep this up, and I'll be humiliated. I'll lose everyone I've ever been close to--they'll just think of me as a fraud. If for one second I lose focus and fail to get the ball in--argh." You shook your head again. "It would be hard on me, it would be hard on my friends, it would be hard on my reputation, and...I just don't want to be humiliated from being best to worst."

Hiro nodded silently. "I think I know what you need." He gently removed the tissues from your nose and you slowly straightened up, no longer feeling the blood gush from your nostrils. Then he took the ball from you and dribbled to one end of the court, smirking.

"HEY!" you cried, running after him, attempting to get the ball out of his hands.

Hiro just smirked as he kept the ball close to him, and you attempted to snatch it away. Then he turned around, but you took the opportunity and swiped it away, dribbling it down to the other end before performing a layup.

SWISH!

The ball went right into the net after a slight rebound from the backboard, and you landed, shocked, as Hiro picked the ball up again.