37. so what's your story?

A/N The love on this story is absolutely insane. I love you guys all more than words will ever explain! We're coming up on the end of season two!

Sage's vision was blurred as she regained consciousness. Her head was in an extreme amount of pain, and when she reached to touch it, her hands were bound to the chair she was sat in. She silently cursed herself for not listening to her instincts. 

"You're up." Matt's voice called out through the shadows, "Good. I was getting bored."

"Bite me." She wasn't in the mood to play nice. 

"No thanks. I'll leave that to Jackson." He stepped out into the light, placing his hand on Sage's face. 

"What's the plan Matt? Kill me with your bare hands? Since you know, I hid your precious little hit lizard." Sage could feel her voice wanting to shake, but she fought it to keep her voice clear and full. 

"Well not that you mention it, where did you hide Jackson?" His voice remained calm, but his fingers tightened around her jaw. 

"If you want answers, I'd get your skeleton hands off my face." Sage looked up at him with nothing but hatred. 

Matt dropped his hand and she could've sworn she sensed regret in his eyes, "Where did you hide Jackson?" 

"How about we don't talk about Jackson, I mean he's all anyone can talk about. I wanna talk about you." Sage shifted gently in her seat, hoping to use his emotions against him. 

"About me?" Matt's expression changed, as if he was flattered that she cared.

"Yeah about you." She put on a fake look of sympathy, bat her eyelashes a few times, and continued, "No one's ever asked you that have they?" In any other situation she would've felt sorry for him, but he did just kidnap her. 

"No they haven't" His guard was down and Sage could feel it. 

"So what's your story?" She asked, trying to direct attention to her face, so that he couldn't see her untying her restraints. 

"My story?" 

"Yeah, your story. What caused all of this? Why kill the Class of 2006 Swim Team. Why do you hate water so much?" All she had to do was get him talking. 

"How do you know I hate water?" Matt questioned, his voice growing deeper and Sage sensed she was in the right place. 

"Jackson, well lizard Jackson, he won't go near the water. It's like it's his kryptonite. I just figured-" Before she could continue, Matt's rant began. 

"He shouldn't have let them drink. Lahey shouldn't have let them drink." He placed his hand on his head as he paced back and forth, he was getting angry. "I didn't know what was happening. I didn't know they had just won state, and Lahey, he's letting his favorites come over to have a couple drinks to celebrate. Who cares if they're 17, right?"

"You were at Isaac's.." Sage's voice trailed off, hoping the mention of her boyfriend didn't set him off. 

"He had this first edition Spider - man, or was it Batman? And we were gonna make a trade. But then I'm over there and I hear music. And everyone's having a good time, and I see Sean. He throws Jessica in the pool. And then Bennett goes in and-" Matt didn't seem to notice, but Sage's ropes were almost undone. 

"Bennett.. That was one of Argent's hunters right?" She needed to seem to be listening, she needed him distracted. 

"And then Camden. Isaac's jarhead brother, he grabs me. He thinks it's funny." He laughed a little, but there was no emotion behind it, it was cold and dark. "I yelled that I can't swim, but nobody listens. I go under and I swallow water, and no one cares. And I see these bodies underwater." He paused for a second to take a breath. 

"They watched you drown.." 

"I see Jessica's got her hands down Sean's board shorts. Tucker's grabbing Kara. And I'm drowning. I'm dying, and they're laughing. All of a sudden, I was just - I'm lying by the pool. And Lahey is right there, right above me, and he says," His voice got a little choked up. 

"What did he say?" One more knot and she was free, but she needed him closer. 

"He says, 'you tell no one!'" There's crack in his voice, "He says 'This, this is your fault! You don't know how to swim? What little bastard doesn't know how to swim? You say nothing! You tell no one! No one!" 

"That's why you never said anything." Sage was nearly finished with the final knots.

"And I didn't. I didn't tell anyone. And I would see them at school, and they wouldn't even look at me. I'd wake up in the middle of the night. I'd gasp for breath. And my parents, they thought I was an asthmatic. They even gave me an inhaler."

"They didn't know that every time I closed my eyes, I was drowning. You know about that little white light that they talk about, you see when you die? Well, I didn't see anything. Just darkness. Everything was dark. But then came the Argent's funeral, and everything changed."

"Isaac's dad.. After he stopped working as the swim coach, he started working as the groundskeeper of the Beacon Hills Cemetery." Sage was pretending to piece everything together, even though she had heard it from Isaac.

"I was taking some photos, and then, purely by accident, Lahey gets in one of the photos. I look down at the screen on my camera, and I just had this unbelievable rage that fills up inside of me, and I just, I look at him, and I wanna see him dead. And the next day, he actually was." He stepped further away and she silently cursed herself. Step closer. 

"Jackson killed him for you." 

"When I saw him the next night, it was like this bond had been cemented between the two of us. I knew he had killed Lahey for me, and I knew he would do it again. So I went to Tucker's garage. I even paid for an oil change."

"And guess what. He didn't even recognize me. So when he wasn't looking, I took a shot of him from my camera. And in a few hours, he was dead." Matt took a step closer. Just a few more steps. 

"So I took more pictures. All I had to do was take their picture, and Jackson would take their life." He walked closer to Sage and she knew it was nearly time. 

"Well there's one problem with your method." Sage dropped the ropes as he turned his attention to her. "No cameras anywhere to be found." 

She reached out her leg and kicked him directly in the stomach, sweeping her leg around to knock him off his feet before making a run for the door. She was nearly there before Matt grabbed her around the throat, attempting to lock her in a choke hold. As she fought his grip she remembered what her father told her in one of her first training sessions. 

"Let them think they have you, and when they let their guard down, show them exactly who they're messing with."

She stopped fighting for a moment, allowing him to drag her a few feet. As they neared the chair she noticed that he had loosened his grip around her throat, just barely. The normal person wouldn't have noticed the difference, but nearly 10 years in training, Sage noticed. 

She dropped all of her weight, and threw Matt forward in front of her, placing her foot on his throat. As she held him in place, the doors swung open and multiple uniformed police officers charged in lead by Noah Stilinski. 

"Matt Daehler, you're under arrest." Noah pointed his gun at Matt and looked up at his son's best friend. "What took you so long?" 

"He was giving me his villain monologue, I wanted to see how it panned out." Sage shrugged her shoulders as if the current situation was completely normal. 

"Of course you did."