18. he's dead

A/N Thank you so much for all the love! 25k!?!?! I can't stress this enough I am so grateful for every ounce of love you guys have shown me. I haven't loved writing in a long time. Yet another trigger warning on Isaac's trauma!

Isaac sat on the couch in silence as the three best friends watched him. Sage had gotten him a glass of water and a towel to clean off his face. He hadn't said anything since he sat down, and Sage didn't want to push. She told Stiles and Scott to go to the kitchen while she tried to get through to him.

"Hey, you don't have to tell me exactly what happened, but is there anything I can do?" She sat down on the floor next to where he was sitting.

"Just be here."

She nodded and sat there with him, waiting for him to open up. It had been about 30 minutes before he even moved from the position he was in. He ran his hands through his hair and Sage could tell that whatever happened was eating him alive.

"My dad's dead." Sage could hear the pain in his voice.

"I'm not gonna ask if you're okay, I know better than that." She looked up at him and he was crying again.

"We were having dinner and he asked about my grades. I have a D in chemistry and he didn't like that. At first, he was okay with it, but then he started throwing things. He cut my face open and he watched it heal. It freaked him out so I ran." He started explaining and with every word he trembled more.

Sage listened intently as he continued, "I was hiding in an alley. He knew I was hiding in there so he started walking towards me, but then he stopped like he saw something. It all happened so fast and I heard him scream. When I came out of hiding he was just laying there, and something was crawling on the car. It wasn't like us, it had scales."

Sage couldn't speak, she was at a loss for words. Isaac's dad was dead, there was something new that they had to deal with, and she had no idea how to help. There was nothing she could do but be there. She got on the couch next to him and laid her head on his shoulder.

"Do you wanna stay here tonight? Melissa wouldn't mind." Sage gave him a gentle squeeze on his arm.

"Please?"

-

Scott called Melissa and got the okay for Isaac to stay and Sage started getting the extra room ready. Isaac stood there watching, trying his hardest not to make things worse. He felt horrible that he was intruding on their night, but to Sage, she wanted nothing more than to help.

"You can sleep here, Stiles and Scott will be in his room and I'll be on the couch in the living room. Do you need anything?" Sage turned and tried to smile.

"You've asked me that about a hundred times today." He laughed a little, trying to make her feel better. "Thank you." He walked over and sat on the bed, patting for her to sit with him. 

"I know it isn't the same thing, but when I lost my mom it helped to watch my favorite movies and eat my favorite foods." Sage sat down next to him and looked over at him. 

"It isn't the same, but it's worth a try." Isaac smiled as Sage jumped up in excitement. 

"Okay pick two of your favorite movies and we'll see if Melissa has them, she probably does, and we'll get some snacks and it'll be great!" She grabbed his hands pulling him up. 

Isaac picked Tangled and Scream, and Sage was right that Melissa had both. She made popcorn got them each a soda and some candy. As she walked upstairs she noticed that the boys had fallen asleep and Melissa was still at work. She handed the bowl over to Isaac and curled up on the bed. 

They finished Tangled and halfway through Scream both of them had fallen asleep. Isaac's arm was rested under Sage's neck and she was curled up facing him. They both seemed so comfortable in each other's company as if they fit perfectly together. 

Melissa came home from work and walked up the stairs to hear the tv still playing. She walked in expecting to see the teens still awake but was met with Sage and Isaac still asleep. She smiled to herself and turned off the tv, putting a blanket over them, and turning out the lights. As she turned out the lights she noticed Sage curl closer to Isaac.

-

Sage woke up in the guest bed with no one next to her. She looked over at the clock and saw that it was 5 in the morning. She grabbed some clothes from the drawer she had for when she slept over and got dressed before coming downstairs. As she walked down the stairs she could smell something being cooked. 

When she made it to the kitchen she was expecting to see Melissa, but instead, she saw Isaac. He was focused on making the perfect pancake while making scrambled eggs and bacon as well. Sage smiled and watched him for a minute, even with everything he went through these last few days, he was still trying to make others happy. 

"Do you need any help over there?" Sage finally decided to make herself known. 

Isaac jumped a little before answering, "I mean if you wanna set the table and go wake everyone up that would be great." He smiled at her and she felt her heart skip a beat. 

She set the table in silence and walked upstairs to wake up the boys and Melissa. She knocked on Melissa's door to hear that she was already up and ready. She smiled at Sage and raised an eyebrow as she walked downstairs.

She knew that getting up the boys would be next to impossible so she came prepared. She walked into the bedroom carrying a spray bottle filled with water. She tried to wake them up the easy way but realizing they weren't budging, she started spraying them both repeatedly. They both jumped up and looked at her in shock. 

"Isaac made breakfast." She smiled and turned on her heels heading downstairs before they had the time to process anything.

She made her way back to the kitchen and heard Melissa and Isaac laughing about something. She walked in and sat down at the island and smiled at the both of them. Scott and Stiles drug each other out of bed and walked into the kitchen shocked to see that Sage wasn't lying. 

"You made us breakfast?" Scott said rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. 

"It's a thank you for you guys letting me stay here. I didn't really explain what happened last night. I'm grateful that you guys were so quick to take me in." He spoke to the whole group, but it was obvious he meant Sage. 

"I am so sorry to hear about your dad Isaac. Do you have any other family?" Melissa's smile dropped when she saw him shake his head. "You're welcome to stay here in the guest room." 

"What about-" Stiles couldn't finish his sentence because both Scott and Sage had smacked him. "Right. My guest room is your guest room." 

"You guys don't have to, it's alright!" Isaac felt his face heating up, he felt guilty overstaying his welcome. 

"Dude if you cook for us like this every day, you can stay forever." Scott walked over and put a hand on Isaac's shoulder. 

"Then it's decided. You are now a member of the Mccall Household." Melissa smiled and took a bite out of her toast.

The room drifted into a comfortable silence as they enjoyed the breakfast that Isaac made. When Isaac knocked on the Mccall's front door, he had no idea that he would be gaining a place to live. He smiled at Sage as he watched her laugh at something Scott said. 

Sage looked around the room at the people around her and couldn't help but smile. Even though the events of last night weren't ideal, the outcome wasn't terrible. She was happy to see that smile on Isaac's face again. She only hoped that it would stay there forever. 

No one had any idea how much Mr.Lahey's death would affect them all.