[ED NYGMA DRABBLE]

Prompt: E32. Having a deep conversation

Warnings: angst, talk about breakup, but hurt/comfort (because that's what Mer likes ^^). Also I'm still rusty with writing stuff for anyone else than Kaz and Pin but we'll get it rolling again, I hope 😅

Word count: 585

He felt like he was losing his mind. His evil side was stepping up, laughing, taking control of him. It was making him do stuff he would never usually do.

But the most worried he was about you. The Riddler said that love is a weakness, and you were the one he loved. Were you a weakness? Would The Riddler get rid of you? Ed wouldn't be able to take it if he would.

So, he made a tough decision - he had to break up with you before The Riddler would take control. But he wouldn't be able to say it straight to your face - so he started avoiding you. He knew it wasn't the wisest way and he could feel the hurt on his back when he turned away from you when you tried to come hug him or give him a kiss at the precinct.

Ed should have expected it when you came to him and prevented him from leaving, telling him that he'll gonna have to talk to you, and that you can't take it anymore.

Ed stared at you, swallowing a few times before he sighed and sat down on the bench of the dress room, and you sat opposite him.

"He won't leave me alone. He tells me that you're a weakness," he muttered, and you frowned.

"Who?"

Ed took his head to his hands. "The monster inside me. It's going to kill you. I have to protect you, I can't be with you anymore."

You were puzzled - Ed had acted strangely for a few weeks before this behavior, but you didn't know he was this messed up. You took his hand on your own and squeezed. "Ed, you can talk to me about anything, you know that."

Ed looked up, suddenly a hint of darkness coated his eyes but it was gone as soon as it appeared. He ripped his hand off from yours. "He wants to kill you. He keeps saying you're a weakness."

You pressed your lips together before leaning back against the closet. "Who is 'he'?"

Ed fell silent for a moment, looking at his hands. Then he finally said, "The Riddler."

You blinked. Was Ed The Riddler? You were silent for a moment, and Ed shook his head.

"I can't risk it. We can't be together. I can't... you have to move out from Gotham," he babbled and looked up, flinching at something beside you. You looked to your side but saw nothing.

Maybe you were gambling with your life, or maybe you were just plain stupid, but you stubbornly crossed your arms. "Tell The Riddler that he doesn't scare me. I won't abandon my boyfriend, period."

Ed looked up again, glancing at the Riddler who was now seated beside you and looked at you with a small smirk. "I like them."

Ed blinked himself, and The Riddler was gone and he could look at you properly again. His breathing evened out as he gazed in your eyes and then reluctantly nodded.

You knew that you were committing a crime yourself, not turning your boyfriend in after things he had done, but you knew it wasn't Ed who did those things. It was The Riddler. But he would still be thrown to Arkham for life if he got caught. Fortunately you were a police officer - you could cover him up.

You knew it was a corrupted act, but you were too much in love to let Ed get caught. You'd stand by him, whatever it took.