the movie Encanto

So I watched Encanto today. and I have never related to a character so much since Loki.

I had seen enough spoilers from this movie to know that I was going to cry. But I did not expect to relate so much to Mirabel. Spoiler alert! Mirabel's story of her spectacular family with her being the only one who is ordinary.  The emotions she's feeling I can relate to. Watching everyone get "their special gift" SUCKS when you don't have one. And it's not like you aren't thrilled for them it's just painful standing in the shadows watching everyone else in the light.

At the end of the movie, she is given the honor of welcoming her family into the new home and a couple of things stuck out to me. First, she longs so much to be seen. It hurt to see myself in a Disney movie. Sometimes even if you know that you are good and special and important and worth it, having very few other people see it is hard. And you start believing everything that they think about you.

The other thing that stuck out to me was the quote "you're the real gift kid, let us in." That hit home for me. Because too much of what I "negatively" (I use the term loosely) feel is internalized. People have never cared before but I am willing to let those who do in.

That whole movie I felt like I could relate to the characters. Luisa with the song "Under the Surface" I could relate to feeling like I have to handle everything because no one else is doing it. Because no one will give me enough respect to listen to me to shoulder some of the work.

I could relate to many of the coping mechanisms used by Bruno because he was lonely. Including the self-isolation for whomever's protection. And him feeling like he now has to be isolated for that purpose and also how he probably feels more comfortable alone because of the years he spent there.

Overall I give this movie top marks. Firstly, for accurately depicting loneliness, Secondly, for quality characters I could relate to, and Lastly, for showing the world, Mirabel. For showing the world what it feels like to be in the shadows watching everyone in the light.

Thanks.