chapter 2: Silent Wake up call

"Mom, stop making riddles," Y/n said in a flat tone. "Just say what you want to say."

Their mother, Y/m, took a deep breath and hesitated for a moment before finally blurting out the words that had been weighing on her mind.

"Actually, I have a boyfriend."

Y/n blinked in surprise, not expecting this revelation. She turned to Ji-hoon, her elder sibling, with a questioning look. Ji-hoon plastered on a smile, trying to show his support.

"Mom, that's good news!" Ji-hoon exclaimed. "We're happy for you, right Y/n?"

But Y/n's reaction wasn't what anyone had anticipated. Her face grew cold, and their voice carried an unmistakable anger as she replied, "I'm done. I'm feeling sleepy. Good night."

Without waiting for a response, Y/n turned on her heels and walked away, leaving Ji-hoon and her mother standing there, dumbfounded.

"Y/N!" Ji-hoon called after her, his voice rising with worry.

But Y/n paid no attention, her footsteps fading into the distance as she retreated to her room. Emotions swirled within her - anger, confusion, and a tinge of hurt.

Her mother had kept this new relationship a secret, and it left her feeling betrayed.

Y/m and Ji-hoon exchanged a worried glance. They knew that Y/n could be stubborn at times, but they also knew that beneath the anger, there was hurt. They needed to find a way to bridge the gap that had suddenly formed.

Y/n's Pov

When she mentioned having a boyfriend...

The moment she uttered those words, my heart shattered into countless fragments. How could she disregard our dad? How could she effortlessly move forward as if he never existed?

I turned to my brother, seeking solace or support in his gaze. To my surprise, he wore a genuine smile. It was as if he had anticipated this moment and was genuinely happy for her.

I couldn't comprehend his lack of reaction.

Didn't he miss our dad? Didn't he feel the void that his absence created in our lives?

Anger surged through me, and I stormed off to my room, disregarding their calls and pleas for a conversation.

Sitting on my bed, I stared out the window, lost in my thoughts.

The pain and confusion gnawed at me, and I couldn't help but wonder why people always seemed to hurt me. It felt like the universe was testing me, pushing me towards despair.

In my frustration, I whispered, "Why does it always have to be like this? Why can't people consider my feelings before making decisions?" Tears welled up in my eyes, a mix of sadness and anger streaming down my face.

At that moment, I felt betrayed, not just by my mom but also by my brother. I expected them to understand my pain, to stand by my side. Yet, they were happily moving forward, leaving me behind.

Suddenly, my dad's words echoed in my mind, "Keep your mom happy, no matter what happens. Even if I'm not there, be there for her." His words reminded me of the unconditional love he had for us.

I tried to calm myself, repeating his words like a mantra. It was true, my dad always wanted us to prioritize our mom's happiness.

As I drifted off to sleep, I held onto the memories of my dad.

A/n Pov
Ji-hoon sat on the edge of his bed, deep in thought. His mind was filled with concern for Y/n and the turmoil that had befallen their household. He couldn't understand why she was so resistant to their mother's decision. It seemed as if Y/n had withdrawn into herself, shutting out everyone who cared for her.