Year 5

We got the dreamers disease.

I stared at the parchment scroll covered with an essay I'd been trying to finish writing for the last week. Snape assigned this to me as punishment when I was unable to successfully complete my Antidote For Common Poisons. He really had to go and make the required length twelve inches. I guess it could be worse...

 I guess it could be worse

"C'mon...Just three more...think," I told myself while not breaking concentration from my paper. My voice was the only sound that could be heard in the common room, other than tapping my fingertips against the wooden top and the steady bouncing of my leg that never broke rhythm, "I give up," I sighed exasperatedly and put my quill down, "Nine inches is more than enough."

I thought I was alone in the common room until I heard a voice come from behind me, "Good, because I've only been blessed with 10."

Fred's voice made me jump as my breath hitched. I was so deep in my thoughts that I didn't hear him come through the portrait door or walk up behind me. My sudden jolt made him laugh, and I reached over the back of my chair to shove him lightly, "That wasn't funny!"

Through chuckles, he let out, "It's pretty funny from over here."

I rolled my eyes and turned back to my paper. Fred stepped closer and laid a hand on the table to brace himself as he looked over my shoulder, "So, what's got you talking to yourself again?" His eyes scanned the parchment as he read the title of my essay aloud " 'Ten Signs That Someone's Been Poisoned'," he scoffed, "That's easy. They're dead."

"Fred, I wasn't talking to myself. I was thinking aloud," My tone matter-of-factly as I rolled up my scroll and put it in my bag, "And this actually can come in handy someday!"

Fred smirked down at me, "Then you should've gotten the antidote correct," he teased before sitting next to me.

"Says you! You forgot to put mistletoe berries in your potion!"

He waved me off before propping his feet on the table, "I'm saving those for something special," After leaning back in the chair, he put his hands behind his head, causing his biceps to flex. A smirk spread across his face when he caught me checking out the small movement.

To my surprise, it took a great deal of difficulty to pull my gaze away and ignore what just happened, "What? You going to chuck them at Emily Gaven so she'll finally kiss you?"

Fred's rolled his lips into his mouth, and his gaze shifted towards a nearby window to hide that it fell into a frown, but I saw it anyway. With a fake cheeky tone, he retorted simply, "It'll happen. She wants me," Still staring at the Quidditch Pitch, he lowered his chair, "I don't know why you even try in this class. You know Snape will take off points just for turning it in with black ink instead of blue."

"Well, maybe if we didn't have a teacher that threatens to use our pets to test our potions on, other people might actually enjoy the class. It's such a shame because the Potion courses really are quite fascinating."