Chapter 65

{Mentions of child abuse. If uncomfortable, please don't read it.} 

Sooyoung P.O.V

I was at the headquarters when Sohee came hastily towards me. 

"What is it?" 

"It's about Jihnwan."

"Is he ready to open his mouth now?" I asked, a sensation of relief washing over me, since he was ready to spit the tea. 

"No, he.... he was reported dead." My lips glued together, unable to murmur a mere sound. Jihnwan was dead? Who killed him, and why would they?

"And also....." said Sohee, seemingly distracted. 

"What's wrong?"

"There was a mint candy found exactly between the throat slit." I froze. The mint candy killer. He was alive? Jihnwan wasn't the killer, then who was it? 

"Sohee, we're missing a big detail. We're missing a very big clue. Let's go." I said and we rushed towards the prison, along with the rest of the girls. 

"What's wrong and why are we in the car?" asked Yeeun. 

"We're going to the crime scene to examine his body. I believe there's a really big clue that we're missing. Every criminal leaves a clue, unknowingly." I said.

"The mint candy killer is alive, and he's preying on innocents. Don't you think we should tell the higher ups----" said Jihun.

"NO!" I yelled, but soon realized the volume of my voice.

"I'm sorry, but I have to tell you all something." I said and they looked at me attentively.

"Taeyong believes, that there is a mole in our group. Not us 4, but the extended group." all I heard was silence. The tension was thickening and suffocating.  

"What makes him think that?" asked Yeeun.

"One of our servers had sent an apology to Taeyong and his group earlier, 2-3 months back. The apology had a link attached to it and after tracking it, the phone number was obtained. But the number was of a burner phone. And in our extended group, also, nobody keeps a burner phone since we report to SKNS." I explained.

"Have you asked Bangchan and Haru?" asked Sohee.

"Yes, I have. And they say none of them have a burner phone." 

"Oh" exclaimed Jihun. 

[At the crime scene]

Sohee P.O.V

We were walking towards the scene when I saw a kid interact with his mother. I would have smiled at the sight, but I sensed something was abnormal. He was shaking. And his eyes were teary. I excused myself from the group and went towards the boy. I stood near their booth to hear what she was telling him.

"You will listen to me only. She is not your mother. I gave birth to you. Is that how you repay me? Do want to get beaten again?" my eyes widened on what she said. That was child abuse. Anger flared up in my veins, not realizing a group of people calling my name. 

Jaehyun P.O.V

I found Sohee, in an instant, looking at a boy and a mother talking to each other. It felt as if she was trying to eavesdrop their conversation and I smiled secretly at her activity. However, I saw Sohee widen her eyes and clench her fists. Sooyoung saw that too and called for Sohee but she wasn't listening. She was going towards the mother and the child.