Chapter 16

Hola Friends

Your POV

I came with Scarlett to pick up Rose. She was more than excited to see her mother. We did our best to cover her bruises with makeup but Scarlett's mother was able to figure it out quickly.

"Y/N Mitchell, you better come on over here and give me a hug."

I look up and see Melanie, Scarlett's mom, and break into a relieved smile, walking over and hugging her.

"Hi Mama bear," I sigh into her and she hums while rubbing my back, then patting it.

"Hi jail bird. Gotta admit, I didn't think you could get more attractive. Then I saw the photos of you in cuffs getting pushed into the cop car and damn. You did it again."

I laugh as I pull away and she cups my cheeks, the sounds of Scarlett and Rose giggling in the background assuring us of them being out of the room and earshot.

Melanie stares at me, eyes darting between mine before opening her mouth, "Thank you for protecting my girls."

Pulling my eyebrows together, I go to protest that I did nothing but she waves dismissively and walks to the fridge, "Don't even start with me, Y/N Rae Mitchell."

"I didn't say anything, Miss Sloan."

"Oh, Jesus, RM. No one calls me Miss Sloan unless you're talking to my mother. Call me Melanie please. I've already gone over this with you," She tosses me a playful scowl and pulls a beer out of the fridge, opening it for me and handing it over.

"Yes ma'am-I mean Melanie! Melanie. Yeah." My cheeks heat up as I pick up the beer for a swig, knowing that I'm fumbling the bag with Scarlett's mother.

But she just laughs at me and I glance out the window, seeing Scarlett taking Rose to play a bit of soccer in the backyard. She glances at me through the window, smiling briefly before putting all of her focus on her daughter.

"So, he pressing charges?"

I turn back to Melanie and sip on the beer, shrugging, "No clue. But if he does he has no solid case against me. Sure I roughed him up, but he hurt a child and his girlfriend."

She stares out the window and sighs, "I knew what was going on but Scarlett avoided the conversation at every single opportunity. I never liked that Colin. Rose told me everything. I would've done exactly what you did, maybe worse."

The anger and guilt stretches across her face. She blames herself for not stepping in earlier. My hand lands on hers, grabbing at her gaze which returns back to me, tears evident, and I smile.

"We couldn't have done anything when we weren't 100% sure. Plus, she is safe now. They both are. And I will do anything to make sure it stays that way."

Her eyes soften and warm up more, a breath of relief releasing and washing over her entire figure. She reaches over and brushes her thumb over my cheek, "I am so thankful you came into Scarlett's life. She's much happier when you are around."

"I'm glad," I grin and we clink our beers, then drink them together while walking around so she can show me the house's new office and dining room.

I admire the white cushioned seating around the glass table but my favorite is the sunny yellow sisal wallpaper on the ceiling around the bubble looking chandelier lights.

"Wow, the yellow really livens up the place. Good eye."

"You think so? Scarlett hated the idea," She frowns and I scoff, "Ignore her. She just likes dark shades and more sleek modern looks."