Chapter 22

Attendance Time!!!!

Scarlett POV

"But mommy, I wanna go!"

I look at Rose through the full-length body mirror and sigh as I pull the black blazer over my jumpsuit, tilting my head as I put in the earrings.

"You can't sweetie, we've talked about this. I'm sorry."

She pouts on the bed Y/N and I have been sharing the past few weeks, then looks to Y/N as they come out of the bathroom, "You look handsome," she smiles at the taller woman and I look at her too, a warm yet sad smile coming to my face.

They look beautiful, fitted gray suit, hair down but slicked back behind her ears, but their hands fiddle with the anxiety ring she wears everyday.

Still, Y/N manages to smile at Rose and leans down to place a gentle kiss to her head, "Thank you, squish. But your mother's right. Uncle Robert is going to take great care of you today, Uncle Chris is going to hangout with you guys too. Won't that be fun?"

I can hear the anxiety lacing Y/N's voice, there's a slight tremor to it, but not enough for Rose to pick up on.

My daughter pouts once again and huffs, "But I want to be there with you in court."

Y/N looks to me with both heartwarmed yet broken eyes, fear evidently casting a dark cloud over her. And I know what she's thinking. If they end up losing today, she'll be taken to prison and won't see Rose again for a while.

The idea of that makes me sick.

I go to speak but Y/N sucks in a sharp breath, clearing their throat and bending down to Rose's eye level on the bed, poking her nose and smiling brightly. My daughter smiles back and Y/N sighs.

"Much as I would love for you to be there, squish, it's better if you were away from that. I'm going to be fine, your mom and I will come back later tonight and we can get ice cream, yeah? How's that sound?"

My knees begin shaking, feeling as though they're made of jell-o. I have to hold onto the dresser to keep me standing. My throat is tight and stings. It's hot. My body wants to puke but I won't let it happen.

I watch as Rose smiles and nods, wrapping her arms around Y/N's neck and hugging them tightly. Y/N releases a stressed breath and closes her eyes. I notice a tear spilling out, rolling down their cheek ever so slowly and painfully.

Today could either be the best day or the worst day of mine and Y/N's lives.

After a moment the two separate and I tell Rosie to go get her things and head downstairs so that I can talk to Y/N alone.

They haven't moved from their spot on the ground, hugging Rose. Still squatting.

I make my way behind them and place my hand gently atop the back of her head, massaging it slowly and reassuringly.

"You okay?"

They don't respond right away. The sound of her sucking in a broken breath through a light sob puts a crack in my heart. Her body is trembling with every sob, but they ball her hands into fists, frustrated with their own display of emotions.

Sighing, I move around to their front and sit on the edge of the bed, leaning forward more to begin rubbing her back.

"It's going to be okay. Deep breaths."

"I'm so scared," Y/N chokes out and then reaches for me, grabbing at my legs and hugging them, slightly tugging as if she's begging me to hug her.

"I know you are, darling," I whisper and move down to the ground while Y/N slightly moves back, giving me space.