Chapter 10

Attendance Time Losers!

Y/N POV

After we finished going over the music video concept, Scarlett seemed on board, although seeing her as flustered as she was while I was explaining her role and choreography in the video, I am pleased to see that she has agreed.

When Rose woke up from her nap I made her soup and grilled cheese, then we all sat and watched Disney movies together. Then she wanted to play a game so we pulled out Candy Land. One of my favorites when I was younger.

By the time Scarlett gets a phone call, Rosie has already snuggled up into my side. I check to see if her fever has gone down and it has a bit, to my relief.

"You make my mama happy," The little girl mumbles out.

Raising a curious eyebrow down at her, I eye Scarlett who walks around in another room, giving Rose and I the privacy she has clearly been waiting to get.

"Well, you and your mama made me very happy today, squirt."

I brush her blonde hair away from her eyes and the little one smiles faintly, pulling the fluffy blanket higher on her.

"I haven't seen her smile in a while. She's been lonely."

"Lonely? She has you and Colin," I try to lighten the mood but she doesn't react much, besides her dropping her gaze and coughing, shaking her head.

Her small fingers fiddle with the edges of a fringey pillow, eyes observing it intently, like it has become more intriguing to her all of a sudden.

"I don't like Colin..." Rose's voice is soft, a low whisper. I can tell she attempted to whisper so lightly to assure her mother wouldn't hear and maybe even me. But the second she says that in the way she has, it brings all of the memories back.

"I don't like daddy, mama," I sniffle but she grabs my chin, turning me to look at her with a fearful smile on her face.

"You do like daddy, sweetheart. Daddy's just dealing with a lot of stress at work, so it is up to us to support him. You love daddy," She nods in a guiding manner. I know this drill all too well.

She's trying to get me to nod with her, go along with the plan. It feels like some sort of game. And I like games. Mama always made things into games, as do I. She makes me play hide and seek when daddy gets home from work. Told me not to come out until she came to get me.

It's a fun game. Sometimes daddy plays when he finds me instead but...I don't like it when he plays.

"Y/N? Are you okay?"

I come back to reality by Rose's voice and almost choke on air as I gasp for it, shaking the memory out of my head.

The little blonde is looking at me worriedly. She's smart for a 4 year old. Then again, so was I. I practically raised myself when Mom couldn't.

Rose is reminding me an uncomfortable amount of myself. I don't ever want to meet a kid who reminds me of myself. Especially not this kid.

Before I can ask anything else, Scarlett walks back over, sighing as she sits on the other side of Rose, placing the back of her hand to her forehead to test her temperature.

"Alright, squish, why don't we give you some medicine now, yeah?"

Rose nods weakly and I stand up, following Scarlett to the kitchen who goes through meds in the cabinet, raising them questionably until she gives a nod of approval. I reach over her and pull out DayQuil, holding it in front of her.

She stares at it and shrugs, "No fair, it was on the top shelf. I can't reach up there."

She takes it to the sink to open it and fill the little measuring cup on the cap with the orange liquid. While she is busy I start to boil some water to make us tea, then bring all the dishes and bowls to the sink to start washing them.