Chapter 43

HEYOOOO. Buckle up children, this one may get a wee bit emotional.

Scarlett POV

The music video is about to play on the big screen, it's almost midnight and the countdown has started. Y/N is beside me on the couch with their leg bouncing like crazy, biting her nails and looking at the clock repeatedly.

"Y/N, Darling." I grab their hand and pull it away from her mouth, rubbing patterns on the soft skin, trying to ease the shaking.

They don't respond, they keep their eyes on the clock.

11:59

"It's going to be great, I'm sure of it. I'm right here with you."

She now looks at me and stares at my eyes, looking between them and sighing, as if just looking at me brings them peace of mind.

I notice the TV changing, telling me it's time. We scooch closer together and Y/N breathes out a long string of air, "Alright. It's time. You sure you are ready for this?" They glance at me again curiously.

I haven't seen the video. After filming my part, I left so that Y/N could have their own time with the crew and work on it without distraction. She works best when she's alone at times, the best ideas come, the worry of opinions disappears.

They truly are a creative genius, so when they asked if I wanted to see the finished product, I said no. I told her I wanted to see it when everyone else does, I wanted to give an authentic reaction, feel the emotions.

"Ready if you are," I breathe out and Y/N smiles gently, breathing with me, "I'm ready."

"Then let's do this," I run my hand through their short blonde hair, looking at the darker roots coming through, watching as a shy smile forms on her face.

(A/N: Here's the music video. Listen/Watch at your own discretion. Much love🖤)

We turn to the screen once I pull away and the first image pops up. A black screen that reads:

This video contains content depicting addiction, drug use, and trauma which may be triggering for some.

A weight sits in my stomach, forming a pit of anxiety before the first shot of the tubes Y/N was hooked up to in the hospital. It zooms out to Y/N's pale face after the overdose, eyes with dark circles around them, a dead, dazed look in their eyes.

"Ooh, oh, oh

It's just a little red wine, I'll be fine.

Not like I wanna do this every night.

I've been good, don't I deserve it?

I think I earned it, feels like it's worth it

In my mind, mind."

I glance at Y/N briefly, wanting to make sure they're okay while they see scenes of her drinking and downing alcohol. Of course it was fake in the music video, but it looks so real.

She just licks her lips and straightens up, placing their hand on their thighs, scratching up and down them anxiously.

So I reach over and take one of their hands, feeling her reciprocating and squeezing my hand for grounding.

"Twisted reality, hopeless insanity

I told you I was okay, but I was lying.

I was dancing with the devil, out of control.