012. FIRST DAY

012. FIRST DAY

"Let me get this straight." Colson leaned back in his chair. "This chick-"

"Rory."

"What?"

"Her name is Rory, not this chick," Harry corrected, taking a sip from his glass.

Colson rolled his eyes. "Fine. Rory," he dragged out her name for dramatic effect, "Gets our boy Kip wasted and steals from us... you tell her she's gonna be dead in a week if she doesn't give it all back, have us follow her around, shoot someone in front of her to let her know we're serious... and now she's... working here?"

"You seem to have a clear grasp of what's going on. I don't see where your confusion lies."

"Oh, sorry. Let me state it more clearly." He cleared his throat. "Uh, why the fuck is she working here?"

"Aside from helping pay back what she stole from us in the first place, she brings in money. Lots of money. And we could always use some more cash flow. Otherwise, we might alert some people."

"This is strictly a business move then?"

Harry nodded, pouring himself another drink.

"So, you're not doing this because you like fucking her, right? I mean, I know you wouldn't jeopardize what we've got in the works right now over a slut who enjoys it when you choke and throw her around a little in the bedroom."

Harry was aware his friend's words were only said to push his buttons; to get a reaction out of him and expose whatever truth he thought was behind this move. Unfortunately for Colson, Harry knew better than to give in.

"Well, I like her!" Dallas chimed in. "She's funny and smart. I don't see the harm in having her around."

"Oh, please. You're just saying that because you want to fuck her."

His eyes widened. "No!" he turned to Harry, shaking his head. "That's not true, Boss."

Harry gave his friend a shrug; he was more than happy to share. Besides, he knew Rory only toyed with his friend for her enjoyment. "If you want to ask her out, go for it."

"Can we go back to what's actually important here?" Colson snapped. "Why the fuck are you being so relaxed with this-" he caught himself this time. "Person."

"I think she may be more connected than any of us originally thought. So, I want some more time to figure this one out," he spoke in a low tone. "And, for that to happen, she needs to think she has some part of the control in this situation. If she gets-"

A soft knock pulled their attention.

"Come in," Harry called out.

The door slowly creaked open and Rory's head barely popped through the gap. "You told me to be here at eight-thirty. I've been waiting downstairs for fifteen minutes now but no one was around. And now it's eight-thirty-two, so I just want to clarify that I wasn't late."

"What are you doing?" Harry questioned her odd antics. "You can come in, Rory."

"I don't know what you guys are up to in here!" she said, pushing the door fully open and walking into the office. "What if I walked in on some big orgy going on? Then I would be embarrassed for interrupting. And jealous that I wasn't invited." Her eyes flashed to a red-faced boy sitting in a chair. "Hi, Dallas."

"H-hi, Rory."

She smiled at him and sat down in the chair beside him "The last time we got some one-on-one time together probably wasn't my best moment. You know, since I was threatening to whack your crotch with a steel pole and all." Leaning over, her hand rested on the inside of his thigh. "I didn't actually get you there, right? Silly me. I always forget." Her hand slid further up. "Want me to check and make sure?"