023. CINEMA // JOLENE

Rory didn't see Harry during her shift - and for the first time in a while, she was relieved

Her post-work cigarette never felt like such a reward.

It wasn't that she was necessarily mad at him. Truth be told, she didn't know how to feel - unfortunately for her, there was no textbook on how to deal with this sort of thing. It had been weeks of her seeing a different side of Harry, one that was charming, kind, thoughtful and caring. And within a split second, she was reminded last night that he could be far from that person. She saw the old version of him - not the one she had fallen for.

It was confusing, to say the least.

And when she was confused or left with a problem she didn't want to solve, she avoided it.

The side door swung open, and the last person she would have expected to see walked out.

"Andrew?"

She would have forgotten who he was if it weren't for her brilliant mind. In her defence, she only had a brief crush on him - he was just a customer, after all. And if it weren't for Harry kissing her and joining her for that night out with Benny, she would have asked Andrew. The thought of how different everything could have been flashed through her mind for a split second. But she quickly put those thoughts to rest.

There was no point thinking about what could have been. She was happy with how things ended up. Or so, she thought.

Rory was unable to stop herself from comparing how the two looked. Andrew always looked well put together with a cleanly shaved face, short haircut, free of any (visible) tattoos, and dressed in a nice suit that wasn't overly flashy. She knew he had a good job working in finance - a fact she learned because she was genuinely interested in getting to know him better and not for a con.

He was the kind of guy you would take home to meet your parents - the good guy. But that wasn't a concern for Rory, considering she didn't have any family to introduce someone to.

"Hey, the tall security guy told me you would be out here."

Blowing out the remaining smoke, Rory tossed the butt of her cigarette onto the pavement and rubbed it out with the bottom of her shoe. "What's up?"

"I don't know if you would remember this, but a few weeks ago, we were talking about an upcoming baseball game, and you mentioned that you used to go all the time with your grandfather." He cleared his throat and extended the item in his hand. "Anyway, I ended up with another pair of tickets from work and thought you would want to take your boyfriend."

"My what?"

"Aren't you with the owner of the bar? The tall guy with long hair? Super scary looking?"

She bit the inside of her cheek to stop the laughter that begged to escape. "No, we're not together."

"Oh, well," he motioned to the tickets, "Maybe if you take him, it will put you in a good running for employee of the month."