037. MIRRORS // STICK

When Rory made her way down the stairs, she realized she couldn't stare at her reflection and see the regret over last night

The mirror was gone. Between last night and now, it had been taken down and rested against the wall with the glass facing inwards.

Every mirror in the house was either covered or taken down.

Harry had done that for her. She didn't need him to admit it; she knew it in her heart to be true.

Spotting the long-haired devil in the living room twisting a wrapped cherry sucker in between his fingers, she swallowed her pride and blurted, "I'm sorry about how I acted last night."

The second he heard her voice, Harry immediately stood up, walked towards her, and handed her the lollipop.

"What's this for?"

"You don't like flowers. I don't know... I thought getting you these instead was our thing."

Her brow furrowed at the treat. "But I'm the one that's wrong here, Harry. Don't people give flowers when they're apologizing?"

"Not all the time. Sometimes you just think of someone and buy it."

"So you were thinking of me?"

"I always am, Bambi," he told her honestly. "And, don't apologize."

"No, I need to. You were only trying to comfort me, and I was horrible to you."

"I know none of this is easy for you. You needed to let some things out, and you did that." He let a cheeky smile show. "But do you know what else you did?"

"What?"

"You were honest," he said, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. "You needed to be alone, and you expressed that. So, don't apologize for being honest with how you felt, Rory. And by the way," Harry leaned towards her, "You are a survivor. Never forget that."

Looking at the treat in her hand, she asked, "How are you so understanding?"

"Because I know where you've been. Feeling like you're all alone - fighting off your demons by yourself. It never changes, and it doesn't matter how many times you tell yourself that you don't need anyone else. Sometimes you do. That doesn't make you weak."

"You know, it's hard to hate you when you say things like that," she admitted. "Makes things pretty difficult."

"I don't mean to make it more difficult for you, Bambi. I'm only telling you the truth." Tucking two fingers under her chin, he lifted her head. "You are strong as all hell, and this brain of yours? Brilliant. And you know how hard it is for me to admit you're smart, so you must know I mean that," he teased. "Like I told you last night... You're beautiful, Rory, inside and out, and a few marks on your skin don't change that. Not now and not ever."