weeĸeɴd wιтн тнe wιɴcнeѕтerѕ; pαrт ғoυr

𝔍ay's Pizza Arcadia was Benjamin's favorite place in the world. They were known for their arcade games, pizza slices the size of your head and fresh homemade ice cream.

The twelve-year-old was already excited to go, but the carbs and sugar put him on an ultimate high. He was the life of the party, cracking jokes, betting the boys on games, and making walrus imitations with straws - which Dean shamelessly took part in.

With Nadia and Rufus on the road, they didn't spend much time as a family. Ben thrived when they were all together, and having Sam and Dean there made it all the better.

The Winchester boys were enjoying themselves, too, having not experienced a familial environment in a long time. Nadia was happy to see them in a good mood and not worrying about all that had been going on since Dean returned.

"All right," Irene yawns. "I'm gonna use the bathroom. Then we can head home."

"Quick. One more game of basketball," Ben shakes the last of his tokens at Dean and Sam.

"Let's do it," Dean pats his hand on the table. "I get sasquatch on my team this time, though." He points at a scoffing Sam.

"You'll still lose," Ben taunted. "Wanna come, Nadie?"

"Yeah, sure," she began to stand.

"Wait," Rufus stops her. "Can we talk for a second?"

Nadia swallows, hoping her face doesn't read what her mind is saying. She wasn't ready to have the reconciliation talk with her father.

"I'll be over in a minute," she tells the boys, sitting down.

Rufus sighs, clasping his hands together. "Nadia -"

"Dad, stop. Please don't apologize if we're gonna go through this again."

"But I mean it this time."

"How am I supposed to believe you? I get that you never really got over mom's death and that it was even harder to grieve when things started happening to me. I won't pretend to know what that was like, and I wish things turned out different . . . better. But you married Irene. We have Ben now."

"I know, I know," Rufus rubs his eyes roughly. "The last time you left, I passed out not long after our fight. I woke up to Irene ready to take care of me. Of course, I was grumpy and prideful and didn't want to hear what she had to say. Then you know what she asked me?"

"What?"

"'We'll we ever be enough?'"

". . . And what'd you say?"

"Nothing. I couldn't answer. 'Cause I don't know. I want you guys to be enough, but when it comes to your mother's death, I -" Rufus paused; his expression turned bleak.

"Her death what, dad?"

Rufus tries to speak but finds himself wordless.

"Dad, you can tell me anything," Nadia takes his hand. "You know that."

"I do," he smiles sadly. "Listen, I'm gonna do better. I want to do better. I know it may be hard for you to believe, but I'll prove it. To all of you."

Nadia's shoulders droop as he kisses her on the forehead.

Rufus never liked talking about his feeling. She thinks it was because he convinced himself he was fine. Saying it aloud would make it untrue. And worst of all - real.

Nadia considered telling him about her memories of Vanessa but wasn't sure he could handle it. To find out that his wife was something he thought he knew could be more than damaging than her death itself.