1

Serena
We met in high school, the day before his birthday and the last two weeks of school.

Of course I'd heard of him but we had different friend groups and different interests. If it weren't for our teacher, I would've served him like I served any other customer who showed up to my bar.

But since I'd seen those beautiful sad brown eyes before, I was compelled to keep up a conversation.

"So." I said casually over the loud music and the shaking of the cup in my hand. "Whatchu been up to since school?" He scoffed slightly as if he was re living the past ten years in that moment.

He spun his finger around the rim of the glass as he stared into the Smokey brown drink. "Got married." His husky voice responded before shooting down his drink and pushing it gently towards me, signaling for me to fill it up again.

"That's a good thing right?" I slid three beers down the bar before beginning to combine tonic water with its best bud.

"It was. Until she turned out to be a..." he thought for a moment, his bicep flexing slightly as he gripped his glass a little harder. "Well to put it nicely, a whore."

"Guess it wasn't meant to be."

He stayed silent. I could tell my words affected him though. Whether it's my talent I learned from being a bartender or it was an obvious change, he, surprisingly, looked sadder than before.

"Hey! Stop running ya fuckin' mouth and gimme a drink!" I looked to my side and stared at the very angry 'gentlemen' at the end of the bar.

I ignored them as I prepared the nice ladies at the opposite end of the bars drinks. "Here you go Dolls."

"Hey Bitch!" I continued to ignore their calls. Crazy how people always decide to be mean to the bartender like I'm just gonna roll over. I get yelled at everyday, you're not special.

"What the fuck did you say?!"

Oops. Didn't know I said that out loud.

I cleaned out a glass as they trotted through the crowded middle section towards me.

The sad boy from high school still slowly sipping his sorrow-filled drink.

"You think you're fuckin' all that cause you're behind a bar huh?" I stared up at him blankly as he slightly slurred his insults.

Where is security when you need them?

"Hey man, leave her alone. Just go get a drink some-"

He pushed the bystander who tried to assist me "mind your own fucking business."

I rolled my eyes as that was all that guy needed to back down. I would've called Aiden out here but unfortunately, he gets pissed on Fridays and goes home early.

"You're gonna fuckin' serve us drinks or you'll fuckin' regret it." I raised my eyebrow.

"This isn't a movie and I promise you that doesn't sound as threatening as you think it does when you're barely saying anything correctly."

He reached towards me, grabbing me by the collar or my uniform, bottles clanging as he pulled me basically onto the bar.

"You snot nosed bitch, just wait till you get off." He chuckled, his alcohol scented breath basically being transferred into my nostrils because of how close we were. I would love to deck this loser but I, unfortunately, am broke and need my job a little longer.

Through all of the chaos and eyes staring at me I saw a slow and steady movement from the corner of my eye. Before I knew it, I was dropped to the ground and the drunk bastard was smeared across my bar.

I stood up, my eyes widening slightly at the sight of seeing Mr. Sad standing in front of me, his fist slightly red. The thing that most surprised me was how tall he was, much taller than high school might I add.

"Holy ladder" I slapped my hand over my mouth as he starred at me with a solemn look. "I meant thank you." I cleared my throat.

He nodded and politely placed some money on the bar. "You're welcome."

He turned away, a couple of people staring at the hero of the night.

The rest of the night was normal, a few questions about who he was and what happened. A few drunk apologies too.

...

I held my purse to my side as let my hair down and walked towards my car.

"I'm sorry..about earlier." I jumped as i turned to see the tall, sad boy standing beside a light.

"You scared me. What are you apologizing for?" He slowly walked towards me, obviously more drunk than when he left.

"I didn't mean to embarrass you, I know you could've handled it." I scrunched my eyebrows up, almost preparing myself to catch him.

I looked up at him as he stood in front of me, tears in his eyes. "Hey hey hey. No reason to cry, you didn't do anything wrong." I chuckled nervously, my hand hovering over his very large bicep.

He took his hands out of his pockets and opened his wallet. "Here." He handed me what looked like two twenties.

"No- why would you be paying me? You already paid for your drinks."

"Emotional damages." I hesitated before laughing loudly.

"Come on drunk sad boy." I hooked his arm in mine and lead him to my car.

I luckily have an SUV so he won't be too uncomfortable, assuming tall people are uncomfortable in smaller cars.

"Where do you live?" I glanced into the backseat to see his head tilted on the windshield, his eyelashes wet with tears.

I sighed and continued to drive towards my apartment complex. I parked in the lot and turned the car off, adjusting my seat to be as comfortable as possible.

I refuse to bring a drunk, strange man into my home. For my safety and his. Besides, he is too tall to lug up those steps.

"Goodnight Mr. Sad boy."

"Goodnight pretty lily." I wanted to turn around to see if he was awake but I almost froze.

His sleepy yet husky and sad voice was perfect and hearing the unfamiliar and strange nickname gave me goosebumps.