37

Serena
Here we go again. My shift, regular. Regular old fighting, regular old threats, thankfully no shootings.

It's just annoying because they get drunk, get upset, then throw each other on the bar. Like, I'm trying to do my job and serve these other people so I can get paid but it's hard if everybody is scattering because of you threatening to shoot everybody.

"Stop talking out loud. It's weird."

I sighed as I bent down to look for the bottle of gin. For some reason, it wasn't set out where it was accessible despite it being a popular option.

"Yo, this is getting kind of heated. You think we should help?" I glanced up at Veronica and shook my head.

"Thomas and Tj got it, they're bigger and stronger than us and it's their job. What would we even be helping with?"

I slid the bottle from the back and stared up at Veronica's worried face as she continued to stare out into the crowd.

I poured the mixture as I tried to talk Veronica out of her worries. "Hey, you can't smoke that in here." I waved off the man in front of me who was holding a half smoked cigarette.

"Shut up bitch, you don't own shit."

"Neither do you, put it o-"

Screams rang out as shots rang through the club. Veronica pulled me down behind the bar as it continued, glasses of alcohol shattering across the shelves and behind us.

"Shit! I fucking told you, Serena!"

"Move!" I pulled Veronica away from the middle of the bar as the cigarette that I was previously trying to get rid of, fell onto the bar, igniting the spilled piles of alcohol.

In an instant, a trail of fire set through the entire of the back of the bar.

"Oh my god, Serena. What do we do!"

I held my sleeve to my face as I squinted through the smoke, my chest beginning to feel heavy.

"You gotta go, V. You have to get outside. I'll make sure nobody else is still in here ok? It's going to get really bad." she stared at me, her eyes cloudy through the smoke.

"What about you? That's literally not your fucking job! I'm not-"

"This isn't a movie, you will die, Veronica. Go." I pushed her through the flame that was slowly building up, hoping she didn't get burnt.

I took a shallow breath as I followed behind, squinting as I tried to get low and look around.

My face was burning and I was starting to sweat, the fire almost spreading through the entire front of the club.

"Is anybody still here!?" I coughed as I continued to crouch low, searching for anybody.

The smoke tinted the air as it swirled up toward the sky.

"Get out of there Serena!" I ignored Thomas' distant yelling. "The fire department is on its way! Get the fuck out!"

Not yet. My stomach was turning as if begging me not to leave or begging me not to be a dummy and stay. I couldn't decide which but I felt like I need a few more seconds. Just a little more...

"If anybody else is in here," I took a deep breathe, the thick smoke-filled air making it hard to breathe or even catch my breath. "You need to tell me now!"

"Help..."

My eyes widened slightly at the sound of the low voice.

"I'm coming!" I coughed, my chest becoming tighter each time I breathed.

I reached a limp and bloody hand. I groaned as I pulled on the arm. The body slowly becoming closer. I pulled them up and onto my front causing me to fall over due to the change in weight and lack of oxygen.

"Are you ok?" I gasped, holding onto the limp body.

"Shot me...shot me." They murmured, their breathing getting slower and slower.

I groaned as I tried to pull them up and hold myself up as well. I choked as I was no longer covering my face, smoke gathering in my chest and spreading through my torso.

I feel light headed...like when you get up too fast after waking up.

"Serena! The firemen are coming!"

I groaned as I continued to struggle, our bodies feeling heavier the harder I tried. Maybe if it wasn't a s hot I'd feel better. I hissed as something began scorching the back of my neck and arm.

I scoffed up, trying to run away from the pain, dragging the limp body along with me.

"Serena!"

I froze despite the stinging on my skin and my vision going blurry. I froze as if it was a survival instinct but it was only a dream that I was in danger. Like a nightmare that really isn't that bad but you still don't want to be in it.

I let out a weak cough, the hoarse voice continuing in the back of my mind and the burning continuing.

I don't know why it's so dark or why it's so warm but I think I like the cold better.

Please remember to vote and comment on the chapter!