39

Serena
I woke up to soft beeping and the smell of charcoal.

"Good afternoon, ladybug... you were out for a long minute...I hope you know that this isn't what you did to seem more fun." He let out a dry chuckle, hurt blending in as if his voice was melted wax.

I weakly smiled up at the tan man in front of me, the tingling in my neck and arm preventing me from really feeling anything else.

"Hi, daddy." My voice was small and weak, barely audible.

He chuckled a little bit, a tear rolling down his cheek. "You haven't called me that in so long." He smiled as he continued to rub his fingers along my hairline. "How are you feeling?"

I groaned slightly. "Sore but I'm ok. Can I have something to drink?"

He nodded and turned halfway around, reaching for something I assumed would be water.

"Apple juice."

I smiled as he displayed a juice box in his hands as if he was trying to convince me to buy it.

He helped me sit up before handing me the juice box. I sipped slowly a fresh feeling washing over me. I felt as if that was all I needed to feel better other than the annoying tingling.

"Ladybug...I know this isn't the time to bring it up but Grayson is worried about you."

I sighed slightly as I stopped sipping from the juice box.

"I didn't want to tell him anything if you didn't want me to but he...he needs to know something."

I looked over at my dad, his eyes solemn and his lips slightly rolled in. I glanced at his thick fingers as he picked at the dry skin around his nails showing his nervousness.

"I'll go see him." I set the box in my lap and gave my dad, my wonderful and caring father, a small and sweet smile. "Don't worry, papa." I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him in.

He rubbed the middle of my back as he let out a breath of relief as I held mine.

I wanted to see Grayson, I almost was ready to beg to see him... but that only makes me not want to see him. I never craved for something so much in my life unless it was satisfying an addiction I had. This was different and I know what it is but it hurts to think that I want this badly and to know that I cannot–should not have it. Like an addiction.

A doctor eventually came in and explained to me what happened to my neck and arm. She told me that it got burnt but it wasn't too bad so I should only have light scarring and I just need to make sure I properly take care of it so it doesn't get infected. She also let me know that I needed to stay for one more day then I could go home. After that, I went to see Grayson.

He was surprisingly only a couple of doors down. I wonder what he would have done if he'd known that.

I hesitantly knocked on the door, my hesitation clear in the awkward knocking.

"Come in."

I flinched at his hoarse and groggy-sounding voice. It was strained and sounded as if he'd been working all night with no rest.

I peeked my head in, almost regretting coming to see him when I saw him. His dense body and defined muscles greeted me first as he had a shirt with its sleeves and sides cut off. He wasn't staring at me but I could see the darkness under his eyes that spread over his entire face. His cheeks sunken in and his eyes lower than usual.

He looked so tired.

"Grayson?" I murmured, his head snapping in my direction.

"S-Serena?" He stuttered as he stared at me wide-eyed despite the tired expression he previously had.

I couldn't help but smile at him. "Hi, Grayson." I stepped past the door and shut it behind me. "Are you ok?"

He nodded, his eyes lighting up as he watched me step toward him.

"Are you ok?"

I nervously chuckled as I stood at the edge of his bed. "Yeah, I'm fine. Little tingly but I'm ok."

He nodded and took a breath as if he had secretly been holding it in since I came in.

We stood in an awkward silence, nobody even moving.

"Serena." He spoke softly, his eyes fluttering closed. "I'm sorry for what happened. I didn't mean to call you by her name..."

I clicked my tongue and nodded, pursing my lips slightly as my hand glided across his white sheets. "I know. It's fine. I get it."

He sighed. "No. It's not ok. I didn't mean to hurt you, I was angry and I couldn't think of anything else but her at the time. My focus should've been you and I'm sorry." He stared up at me with those sincere eyes, those kind eyes with nothing but love behind them.

"It's fine Grayson. Of course, you'd be upset ya know...she did something horrible to you, and you were put in a bad situation with somebody you love. I understand." I gave him a small smile, my heart aching at my words.

"I don't love Emilia, Serena. I can't say that I didn't because I was in love with her for years but I-"

"Please. Stop...I know you're sorry but I don't want to hear you lie to me anymore, Grayson..." I slowly took a step back, my nails digging into my palm as I pushed back whatever emotions that were ready to spill onto my cheeks. "I know you still love Emilia...I understand that but I don't know...I don't know why you had to lie to me too."

I couldn't look up at him or I know I'd break down. I knew this was going to happen, I was going to tell him exactly how I felt even if I didn't want to and I was going to hurt myself.

"I just don't get it...you could've told me or left me alone I-"

"What are you talking about?"

I looked up at him, I finally looked up at him. With tears in my eyes and my lip pressed between my teeth, I looked at him only to see this distraught expression on his beautiful face.

"Emilia played a voice memo of you telling your parents that you still love her. I get it, I just don't know why-"

"Will you stop fucking saying that you 'get it' !?"

My eyes widened as he rushed from the bed and in front of me.

"I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, Serena but I haven't told Emilia that I love her or anything fucking close since I left her! So please...please just...just stop."

His voice filled with anger and desperation as I stared up at him, tears slowly spilled onto his cheeks and his eyes were confused and lost but begging for something.

"Grayson..."

Please remember to vote and comment on the chapter! I apologize for the late upload, I had a lot of homework 🥲