13

Serena
I watched as they lifted Grayson onto the stretcher, his legs hanging off the ends. They, fortunately, came quick and they are pretty sure he's going to be ok because Molly was able to stop any further bleeding.

They still suggested he go to the hospital to make sure he didn't sustain any serious injuries.

"One of you can ride along."

I stepped forward, preparing to get on. "I-"

"I'm his wife." The woman with a pink dress and a messed-up bridal bun spoke up, mascara streaking down her face as she held a tissue to her nose.

I watched as the doors closed, the last sight I see is of her holding onto his limp hand and leaning over him whispering something.

The truck pulled off and Molly wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

"He'll be ok kid." She pressed her lips to my cheek before walking off. "Your dad is upstairs."

I hummed in response, unable to move from that spot.

I looked down at the concrete. His blood dripped down from the bumper of the fire truck and landed in a crimson puddle that slowly ran down towards the drain. The sight almost made me want to cry.

I walked up toward the kitchen, putting the lunch I brought for everybody in the fridge.

"Oh..." I looked at the crumpled and bloody handprint on the large paper bag.

My hands were smeared in a deep red so were my pants and the bottom of my shirt. I forgot that I was holding him in my lap as Molly wrapped his head up.

He looked sad even with his eyes closed. It could've just been the pain but I don't think it was. That beautiful man has had that sad look for too long for it to have just been from that.

...

After I left the station and talked to my dad, I went to see Grayson. Just to make sure he was ok, maybe take him home if he needed.

I rummaged through my bag for the gift I got for him as I walked through the hospital hallways. Like a get-well-soon type of thing.

I don't like hospitals. I've spent too much time in them and hopefully will not spend any more.

When I found his room, I knocked lightly, peeking my head inside as I opened it.

"Grayson?" I whispered.

My eyes shifted over to the tall man who was sitting up in the bed, an aggravated look on his face. When I opened the door fully, I realized why.

"Excuse you, we are busy." She muttered annoyed at someone interrupting the possibly stressful and heated conversation.

She finally looked over at me when I continued inside, her eyes lighting up with anger at my presence. "Why're you here?"

"I'm his friend. I wanted to make sure he was ok." I shut the door behind me before walking over to the side of Grayson's bed.

I looked down at the injured man, his eyes on me but still ignited. "Are you ok?" He glanced over at his annoyed ex-wife, the same pink dress, not a stitch out of place.

"I'm fine Serena. Thank you. I didn't mean to scare you. Did I scare you?" His voice was soft and hoarse.

I smiled, slightly chuckling at the thought of him being concerned about me when he was the one who almost knocked himself out.

"Yeah, I guess you're right." He chuckled, his neck relaxing and his head finally leaning back on his pillow.

"I really got to stop that." I groaned l, sitting on the edge of his bed.

"No no, it's good. Now there is no way I'll ever be unsure about what you're thinking." He smiled at me, his sharp canines glaring at me.

I avoided his gaze my curls thankfully blocking the view of my face heating up, not like he would be able to notice.

That completely ended when I looked in the direction of his ex when she abruptly cleared her throat. "Why are you just flirting with my husband in front of me? Do you know how dis-"

"I am not...your husband, Emilia." He said tiredly as if he's been saying that too often to her.

Her pale face turned bright red at his words, her lips forming a pout. "Grayson." Her voice cracked.

"I'll... see you later Grayson. If you need me call me ok?" I stood up, forcing a smile on my face despite my annoyance with Emilia.

"...ok. I will." He said lowly.

I walked towards the door thinking about whether I should report her on my way out, give him a little alone time then I remembered his gift.

"Oh!" I spun around my hand reaching inside my bag and instantly feeling it in my palm. "I got you a gift." I smiled brightly at him. I love gifts so I was most likely more excited than he will ever be, whether he likes it or not.

I dangled the light blue key chain in front of me, the large G with a black slanted gash down the side. "It's a keychain! I got it at the gas station so it's a little cheap but I thought I should give you something ya know? As a get-well-soon sorta thing."

I gently picked up his hand, placing the keychain in his large palm.

"Anyways, that's it." I smiled before turning and leaving the room.

I hope he likes it, he didn't show much emotion other than just staring at it. Even if he doesn't, I'm glad I got to give it to him. Maybe it'll even make him feel a little better.

If you enjoy 'Burn for you' please remember to vote and to check out my other book 'smile'! Thank you!