45

Serena
When I finally saw him something inside of me brightened like I had been lost in a desert and finally found salvation. That's exactly what he is to me, he is my salvation and without it—him, I cannot stand.

"Grayson." I grasped for him hoping I could touch him, that he would let me touch him.

"What happened Serena." He spoke, his voice dull and lifeless.

"I-"

"Don't lie to me and don't avoid it, tell me what happened." He turned to face me, the pit in my stomach reaching rock bottom when I saw his eyes. His beautiful eyes that I adore with everything in me were swollen and red. The worst part was that his eyes looked beyond sad. As if they reached something so heartbreaking that they couldn't process what was happening. My Grayson, whose eyes explained everything about him, had heard something that broke him.

"I don't lie to you. I won't lie to you..." I licked my lips as I wiped the tears from my cheeks and prepared myself to tell him what led me to where I am today. My rock bottom.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes as I tried to remember the things I fought to forget. I couldn't forget what happened to me as a child, no matter how much I wanted to but this...I had to forget.

5 years ago
I struggled to hold my eyes open as I leaned against the big metal fan.

I don't remember how I got up here but I think I'm supposed to be up here. The alcohol isn't working anymore. I don't feel better. This shitty job isn't working either.

Maybe I should've gotten addicted to something else. Like...crack.

I chuckled at myself. Crack. I hummed as I rolled over and pushed myself up.

The bright lights that lined the roof shined in my eyes as I stood up, giving me a splitting headache. I wish my mom was here. I think she was nice to me.

I hummed a random tune I heard earlier as I stumbled toward the bright lights.

"Gotta turned these off Serena." I tugged on the light, pulling it up and shining it brighter in my face. "Fuuccck mee." I covered my eyes as I fell on my back.

I think papa is off now. I should stop drinking and go see him.

"Who's up here!"

I groaned as I tilted my head up, a dark shadow approaching me. "Hey, you! Stop that moving, it's hurting me."

"Serena?"

I gasped as I was picked from the ground. "Shit, you're strong. You're like my dad. The black one, not the Mexican one." I chuckled, shocked the person didn't laugh.

Maybe later.

"Papa is off. I'm gonna go see him later so you better let me go fucker." I smiled.

"Serena are you drunk? You can get fired for this ya know."

What does he know? He doesn't know anything. Nothing.

"Mind your business." I pulled myself away from him, my unsteady legs continuing to move ahead despite the need to stop.

"Serena!"

"Whoop!" I slipped over the edge, the breeze blowing under my shirt as I dangled over the edge. "Shit!" My eyes widened as I instantly sobered up.

"Fuck, you're heavy."

I looked up to see what I was holding onto or rather what was holding onto me. The man I know could recognize was Avery, the kindest man I'd ever worked with.

Guilt flooded through my body as I realized the situation we were in. "Let me go, Avery!"

"Are you out of your fucking mind!? You'll die!"

I nodded, continuing to hold on tightly to his hand. "I know, that's the point...you don't deserve to be in a situation like this."

"Shit, just... just hold on." He pulled as he tried to move backward. "Hold on to the ledge and don't let go!" He forced my hand onto the ledge before pulling out his phone. "So help me God Serena, if you let go in jumping after you!"

I sighed as I continued to dangle, scared to look down as if I looked down I'd let go out of fear.

"Are you ok!?"

I nodded, my hand beginning to hurt from holding myself up. "I think I have to let go, Avery! My hand..." I grunted as I tried to pull my body up even a little bit to grab onto the ledge with my other hand.

"They'll be here in two minutes! Just hold on!"

Two minutes.

I'd be dead in two minutes and I knew I deserved it.

"Shit Serena. What'd you do this for?!"

I chuckled softly.

I didn't feel so heavy anymore.

"Avery, tell my papa I love him ok? Tell him it's ok to cry."

"Serena-"

I shut my eyes and let go. It was my time now. My stupidity and pain put me here and now it's time for me to let go.

"Fuck!"

My eyes widened as I saw Avery holding onto the ledge above us, his hand clamped to mine. Sweat beaded on his forehead as he looked from the ledge and back to me.

"I told you not to let go!"

I choked slightly, the panic setting in.

"Are you fucking crazy!" I screamed, my hand holding tighter onto his. "Why'd you grab me you fucking idiot?!"

"I'm not the idiot, I told you not to let go or id jump down to get you!" He slightly adjusted his hand in mine, the fact that we were dangling through the air finally getting to me. "You're slipping..." He breathed.

"Let me go, Avery!"

"Fuck that! If you let go Serena we both die!"

This random man that is nice to everyone is willing to lose his life to save an idiot alcoholic.

What the fuck did I do?

Please remember to vote and comment on the chapter! The story will be ending soon so I wanted to say that I'm glad I got to experience this book with all of you. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to continue. I especially want to thank my 3-4 constant readers and voters. It was my pleasure to read your names everytime I uploaded.