34

Serena
Grayson dropped me off that night without a word exchanged, it's been a week and that hasn't changed.

On the bright side, I've been staying with my dad so I won't have to think about it. It's not helping but I'm not upset and I'm enjoying time with my papa.

"Here, papa. I cut up some fruit for you." I watched as he rubbed his eyes and rubbed his head of disheveled hair.

He groaned and stretched as he sat down at the counter. "Thank you, ladybug." He patted my lower back as he picked up a forkful of mango and watermelon. "This is a beautiful treat from my wonderful daughter who only decided to visit me after she can't spend time with her boyfriend."

I rolled my eyes and nudged his head slightly.

"That's not why, papa. You make me happy so I just came to see you and he's not my boyfriend."

He wiped the juice from his lips and shook his head. "No, ladybug, 'coming to see' me would be an hour-long visit but you, my dear, have been here for," he raised his wrist and looked down at the golden watch. "173 hours and twelve minutes."

My jaw dropped as I stared at him. "Papa that's so mean! Have you been clocking how long it'll take me to leave!?"

He sighed and shrugged. "We all have our flaws, my dear. Yours is having a mopey relationship and using your poor father to help you and mine is timing your stay."

"Yeah, whatever. You're never getting fruit from me again."

...

"Christy...you're great but how'd you find out where my dad lives?"

She smiled as she pushed past me, completely avoiding my question. "I brought like a pie. I can't come to a stranger's house empty-handed."

I sighed as she looked around the kitchen, opening every cabinet possible until she pulled out two plates then did another scavenger hunt for silverware.

"Is he here?"

I nodded "he's getting ready for work. Don't know if he has time for pie."

"Who doesn't have time for pie?"

I sighed at the sight of my smiling and very excited father ignoring that there was a stranger in his house and just being excited about the pie.

"Christy, did you come over just for pie?"

She glanced up at me, an innocent and almost lost look in her eyes. She thought for a moment, humming slightly as she casually continued to slide the pie onto a plate.

"Oh! There has been this chick banging on your door for like a week yelling at you to come out and 'face what you did' or like 'find out the truth whore!'" Christy shrugged and she scooped pie into her mouth. "I told the bitch to go home and she ran off when that really buff guy who lives upstairs came down and told her to shut up."

I sighed as I walked toward my room.

"Papa, I'm gonna go home when you leave ok?"

"Finally."

I rolled my eyes and continued to collect my stuff. Who would've thought my own family would treat me like this? I will be canceling my prime subscription, no more shows for you.

...

When I got home I was fully expecting Emilia to be waiting for me and that's exactly what happened.

"We need to talk."

I stared down at her looking for even a hint of anger but I couldn't find it. That didn't allow me to put my guard down but only made me more confused. She looked more excited than anything.

"Why?" I walked past her and unlocked my door, my hand resting on the knob as I waited for her to talk.

"I want you to know that no matter what you do, Grayson will never really want you."

I scoffed pushing on my door and stepping in. I'm not listening to this. I know exactly what he thinks about her and how he feels about me-

My heart dropped as my body froze. The scratchy audio playing in my ears, Grayson's pained voice playing even more painful words.

"Of course I love Emilia! I was married to her for ten fucking years! Do you want that to just go away!?"

My heart pounded in my ears as I listened until it cut off. My stomach twisted as my eyes and throat burned, the pain tingling throughout every inch of my body. I felt like I was breathing in knives, each breath stabbing me harder until I felt like I couldn't breathe.

"I warned you, Serena. He's been mine for too long...I hope you learned something from this and finally leave us alone." Her hand rested on my back her touch felt like I was sunbathing in thousand-degree weather.

Despite my heart breaking in my chest, my brain couldn't truly comprehend that the man I thought loved me with his whole heart, still loved his wife. My mind was clouded with thoughts of all the times he told me he loved me. I wanted to cry thinking about how many times he could've told her the same thing...how many times he did tell her the same thing.

This feeling, this burning in my chest, the ringing in my ears...wouldn't let me believe that he lied.

I swallowed hard and taped myself back together. "Emilia," I mumbled.

She hummed, her hand finally removing itself from my back.

I turned around and backed into my apartment. I stared down at the tiny brunette who held a look that almost portrayed pity. Almost.

"He was never mine but he will never be yours again."

Please remember to vote and comment on the chapter!