10

Grayson
I didn't feel like drinking and I didn't feel like being home.

I slammed my car door and began towards the entrance of the small upscale hotel. I was once again greeted by a slim doorman before entering and making my way toward the bar.

I sat down at the end of the bar and waited.

"What can I get you." I looked at the smiling woman in front of me, her blonde ponytail high on her head.
Her smile faltered at my lack of response. "Sir?"

"..is Serena here?" I said simply. She almost looked annoyed, slightly defensive at my bringing up her coworker.

"No." She said harshly before moving away and serving someone else.

I know she usually is here tonight. She's here every night I come but she's always here on this night.

I went home and did nothing until I had to get up for work.

"Heya Grayson." Doug patted me on the back as he sat next to me, his mouth stuffed with a sandwich.

"Hi, Doug," I said lowly.

He licked his fingers and pouted at me "what's the long face for? Don't look like you're ready to firefight." I shook my head and stood up.

"Just missing something." He chuckled and leaned back.

"Well if yur missing that wife of yours, it's never too late to get her back I me-"

"Yea! My wife and I got divorced a couple of times." Mike chimes in as he sits down in the chair I just got up from. "But ya know, we were just meant to be." He smiled proudly as he thought about the memory.

"Yea ok Mike." I waved him off before walking down the stairs toward the trucks.

I pushed my suspenders over my shoulders as I stepped toward Mr. Papillo.

"Sir," He turned to face me, one foot on the side of the truck, the other planted on the pavement. "Have you heard from your daughter recently?" He raised one eyebrow slightly before stepping down from the truck and wiping sweat from his brow.

"No, son, why?" He looked up at me with a look of concern and suspicion.

I shook my head and looked off. "No reason sir, thank you." I began to walk off but stopped before I reached the stairs.

"Do you think Molly would mind if I took off for the rest of the day?" He sighed and shook his head.

"You're gonna have to ask her. Ya know today has been busy." I nodded before walking toward Molly's office.

She ended up letting me leave with the promise that I work overtime.

I went home and showered, my mind completely blank except for her name.

I continued to think about her until I got to the bar and sat down. I hoped she was there, if not...

"What can I get for you?" I stared blankly at the blonde that was standing in front of me.

I stood up and walked out and back to my car. Her name replaces all thoughts except one.

I pounded on the door three times before putting my hands in my pockets. I stared at the door and waited for her to answer. I almost wanted to just leave the stuff I got her, go home and forget I came. It's fucking creepy that some guy she doesn't know randomly showed up at her house because she didn't come to work.

My heart stopped when the door opened. I was expecting to see her standing there confused as to why I was there but no, there was nobody there at all.

Someone opened the door, Grayson.

I looked down to see what looked like a human-sized dumpling on the ground looking up at me.

"Shit Serena." She almost giggled at me as she crawled away into the darkness.

I walked in, shutting the door behind me.

I stood behind the very slowly moving dumpling before deciding that I should take her to her bedroom. "I'm gonna pick you up." She ignored me and continued crawling.

She looked so cute dragging the heavy comforter I almost wanted to laugh.

I set the bags down before bending down and picking her up as she continued to try and crawl mid-air before going limp in my arms.

"Serena, I'm going to take you to your room." She groaned lightly as she snuggled up to my chest and buried herself deeper into her comforter.

"Nice smells." She mumbled before I placed her down on her bed.

My face heated slightly at her voice. The perfect rasp complemented her usual sweet and calm tone.

I left her there as I went back to grab the orange juice I bought for her. I don't know why I decided to go grocery shopping for her but I felt like I had to. Now I know it was a good idea that I did.

I sat down next to her as she curled up into a ball on her back like an opossum in the middle of a busy street.

I carefully poured the juice into her mouth, her lips puckering as she lapped it up. She moaned slightly at the satisfaction of finally receiving some form of liquid other than saliva.

"That was orange juice, Serena. Do you feel better?" She smiled and lay flat as she nodded.

"Peach milkshake." She murmured tiredly as if she was already asleep.

I set the juice next to her before continuing to sit there for a moment, watching as she peacefully slept. The only light was from the moon shining in through her window, perfectly highlighting her gorgeous complexion.

I ran my fingers through my hair before turning and walking out of her room and towards the stuff I dropped at the door.

I put away the groceries and made a mental note of what else I had to get for her later, considering her very empty fridge.

I'm glad I couldn't stay away.

***

If you enjoy 'Burn for you' please remember to vote and to check out my other book 'smile'! Thank you!