11 1/2

I didn't hate rehab but I wish I wasn't in a place where that was my only option.

"I died that day," she paused to take a deep breath as she wiped her eyes on the collar of her shirt. "and if it wasn't for the EMT I would've stayed dead. My mother's last memory of her daughter would've been her watching me lay in vomit." Her voice was full of regret, her eyes full of misery as she recanted her story.

"That was great Eva. Thank you for sharing,"

I cleared my throat, shifting nervously in my seat as she looked around.

"Would anybody else like to share?"

We looked around. A man in the corner who I had never seen come here before had his hand raised.

"My name is Vermouth. I'm 30."

His voice was deep and strained, it really went along with his whole aesthetic, to be honest.

"Hi Vermouth." We chanted.

He squeezed his eyes shut as he rubbed them together, a sigh escaping his lips. "Please, just call me Vinnie...I am just an addict. To everything. Sex, drugs, alcohol, whatever." He leaned back in his chair, his hands resting on his thighs.

"My...journey, I guess, started when my ex got pregnant and I almost killed her." He cleared his throat. His voice sounded as if he was up all night telling this exact story.

Not a strand of remorse was present. Maybe they've gotten over it and worked through it? Or he's a sociopath.

"It's not that I didn't want the kid it's just, in my mind, she set me up. Realistically, who fucking has a kid with an addict? Nobody in their goddamn right mind... I got arrested for almost strangling her to death, and sent to rehab yadda yadda. Now I'm here, my son is fine. That's it." A long silence plagued the room.

I mean yea, we are all addicts but the way he told the story was odd. But whatever, who are we to judge?

Shy claps rang through the room, mine included. He looked as if he just wanted to leave, barely acknowledging the clapping at all. But if he's here I guess it means he cares about getting better.

I stood outside like I always do, Alissa standing next to me.

"Why didn't you speak today?"

I looked down at the petite girl next to me.

"Why should I? Everybody in there heard it."

She blew smoke in my face, a smug smile on hers.

"Not the new boy. Ya know, he's a hit old for me but you? Perfect."

I giggled and glanced at her.

"You calling me old Alissa?" She chuckled, flicking her cigarette into the street.

"No. But if you are, just embrace it. Old people are hot too." She patted my shoulder and stepped down off the curb. "My rides here, see you later oldie." She flashed me a pretty smile before ducking into a blue sedan.

"Fuck." I turned to see Vermouth, kicking over a pot.

"You ok?" I spoke up, his head almost spinning off to look at me.

"Fuck do you think?" He said harshly.

I smiled to myself. "I don't know, that's why I asked."

He scoffed, stepping over to me. His eyes were low and sleepy. "You're an addict, don't be an asshole." My eyes followed as he walked past me.

"You can be both ya know, you're proof." He paused for a moment, a mischievous smile stretching across my face.

He continued on his way, deciding he doesn't want to entertain me anymore.

Addicts. So much fun.