8

Serena
"Happy birthday!" I smiled widely as I swiftly pulled sad in for a hug.

"Thank you, ladybug." I groaned as I continued to squeeze around his body.

"I got you the best present in the entire world." I held onto his thick arms as I happily stared up at him.

He clicked his tongue and tilted his head slightly. "I told you I didn't want you spending your money on me-"

My eyebrows curved as my grip slightly tightened on his arms "don't do that. You know you love my presents... and I know I haven't always been the best to you, even on your birthday so you gotta let me getcha some good gifts." He gave me a slightly dry chuckle, his eyes lowering in a pity-filled way.

"The pasts the past, sugar. Look at you now." I nodded and he smiled. "Let's go enjoy my birthday huh?" He pressed a harsh kiss into my cheek as he patted my back.

"Who's burning the food! We're firefighters for Christ's sake! Not fire starters!"

I laughed as my dad waved his hands around, the rest of them poking fun at Doug for almost lighting the place up.

"It's not fault! You know my right nostril is bad!" I watched as Doug tried to salvage the burnt hot dogs, Sam ultimately throwing them away.

"What's ya nostril have to do with anything! You're not blind Doug!"

"No, but listen, if I gotta cook, I gotta smell! It all corresponds!"

"No yea, I thinks he right." Micheal looked around, his eyes being the main thing moving as he looked side to side.

Dad rolled his eyes and leaned back in his chair. "Of course you think he's right you dunce, you fall off the ladder once a week!"

"No! That doesn't count, listen here..." Micheal balled his hand up, placing it over his mouth as he prepared to speak. "My wife."

"Oh god." They all groaned. "Of course it starts off with that."

"I'm thinkin' she needs to divorce you Mike."

"Don't joke about stuff like that! You know she'll think about it! Anyways! My wife, she always yells at me when I'm doin' my business ya know, so I gotta turn the light off or I can't hear ha." He nodded, looking as if he was waiting for approval.

"So. What I learned is, Doug doesn't need to be handlin' the grill! Gimme that!"

I smiled and watched as Doug and Greg fought for the spatula.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom, ok?" I nodded down at dad who nodded back.

I walked towards the station, the breeze hitting the back of my legs, almost making me want to stop and enjoy it.

Breeze.

"I wonder where he is..." I rubbed my eyes as I turned the corner to go towards the stairs.

"Who is?" I froze at the sound of the deep and husky voice in front of me.

"Oh. I was..." I stared up at him awkwardly. Even though I was looking for him, I couldn't seem to properly look at him.

"You were?" He gave me a slight smile, his eyes almost lighting up.

"I was looking for you," I said lowly. "I didn't see you at the party." he glanced behind his back before starting back down at me.

"Mm...well, I was on my way there. Not allowed to miss it."

I didn't know what to say to him.

Yes, I wanted to see him but what do I say now. I keep thinking about last night. It probably wasn't really a big deal but it... I don't know.

"I'm sorry, Serena."

My eyes widened a little as I looked up at him.

"For what..."

He adjusted his weight so he could lean on the wall beside me, one hand holding his body up while the other rested on his hip.

"I'm sorry for what I did last night. I was really fuckin upset and I didn't mean to take it out on you." I smiled slightly, almost laughing.

"Why are you smiling?"

I let out a breath a slight laugh following, "it's just a little strange that you were upset so you decided to flirt with me." He stared down at me, his face almost showing shock I wasn't upset.

Yea it stung a little but I've done plenty of worse things because I was upset.

"Don't apologize Grayson. It's fine, let's just forget about it yea?" His eyes became lower than before.

Almost as if he was upset.

"Yea.." he mumbled.

My eyebrows scrunched up slightly as I looked up at him. "What? Did you want me to be mad at you?" He shook his head, his trademark sad eyes making an appearance.

"Just...regretting that I stopped."

He walked off and past me, leaving me with his words.

I glanced behind me to see him now gone and questioning if I imagines what just happened.

I don't know how the F I'm supposed to take that. Was that whole thing like a setup? For me to like make out with him? Or was he genuine and he just liked my reaction?

Confusion like this only takes place when you spend your entire life drunk and single.

"What the fuck."

...

I avoided Grayson the rest of the party. Well, really, he avoided me. We shared a few glances but there was nothing else. It's not like I had anything to say. I didn't know what to say.

"Thank you for the present, ladybug." I groaned as I tightly hugged my dad, the smell of charcoal lingering on his hair.

"You're welcome papa." I pressed a slight kiss into his cheek as he released me from the hug. "Did you enjoy yourself?" He nodded.

"Yes I did. I'm surprised nobody set their house on fire during the whole thing. Must be a lucky day." I smiled and he chuckled at himself.

"I'm glad you were able to enjoy it papa."