32

Serena
We were seated directly in the middle of the room because that's where Grayson's family and close family friends were.

Grayson held my hand as he guided me around the table toward his seat. I scanned over the decorative cards with names spelled out in cursive.

"This is really nice," I whispered to Grayson.

He hummed, stopping and pulling out a chair.

I sat down and watched as he sat next to me. I looked down at the set-up crystal plates with glass edges and smaller white plates with straight gold rims underneath. Three spoons and three forks on either side next to the dishes and name one of the fancy name tags... Emilia is written in flowing letters.

I leaned over towards Grayson's ear, him leaning in closer to hear me. "Grayson, this isn't my seat."

He glanced at me and shook his head.

"Don't worry about it." His hand rested gently on my thigh, my hand going overtop of his.

I sighed as I watched everyone fall into the room, now noticing all of the beautiful outfits and colors.

Emerald green, crème colored, royal blues, golds, purples, and other colors I'm sure royalty douses themselves in all painted onto these elegant dresses and suits.

Grayson definitely lied to me earlier.

"You're in my seat."

I turned to see an angry Emilia standing behind me with her arms crossed.

"That's my seat. I always sat next to Grayson, he's my husband so it only makes sense."

I raised my eyebrow at her, turning my body so that I was halfway out of the seat.

I'm not a mean person and I don't think I'm extremely confrontational but I don't think I like her so everything I'm not turns into exactly who I am.

"He's not your husband. I don't care what this name tag says, I'm sitting by him." I didn't sound angry or harsh but I did try to make my voice as sturdy as possible.

She bent down in my face, one hand holding the back of my chair and the other palming the table. She stared me in the eyes, those bright red flags waving brightly.

"I don't know who you think you are but this is my family. I will get you kicked out without a second thought. So you better get outta my seat before I move you myself."

I stood up out of my seat, her eyes widening slightly as she stepped back. I looked down at her as I stood directly in front of her.

"I don't know who you think you are but you better not ever get in my face again or I'll remove you myself."

Her breathing became harsh, steam almost coming out of her ears.

"Emilia, Serena, what's going on?" Willow wrapped her arms around Emilia's shoulders, staring down at me with a concerned look.

"Nothing, I'm sorry." I smiled and sat back down.

"No! You- she stole my seat! I always sit next to Grayson, he's my husband, Willow...everybody knows that."

Willow clicked her tongue and shook her head.

"Emilia, I love you. You were my best friend but we all know you're a whore and you're not his wife. The only reason you're here is because sir is enamored with you. Now let's go sit next to me, yea?" She smiled down at the baffled Emilia as she guided her off towards their seats.

I sighed and looked around, kind of hoping nobody saw that. Unfortunately, there very much was a lot of whispering going on.

I turned to Grayson, guilt flooding my features. "I'm sorry Grayson, I didn't mean to embarrass-"

"Don't apologize to me. I told you you could never harm me, that includes embarrassment, Serena." His hand rested back on my thigh, his fingers wrapping around a little tighter than before.

I stared up at his side profile, watching as he stared straight ahead.

I hummed as a response, my guilt still lingering.

"Ladies and Gentlemen!" We turned toward the large doorway at the opposite end of the room, a smiling man in a dark red suit holding up a glass and knife.

"I would like to thank you all for joining us tonight! I am glad to see some of our most cherished family and friends could make it, we always appreciate those friendly faces." He gave a light chuckle as he looked around the room.

"On the same note of friendly faces and cherished family, I would like to welcome our hosts of this wonderful evening: Mr. and Mrs. Vankaro!"

Loud claps rang through the room as the large doors were pushed open revealing the couple dressed in crème and gold.

I could tell they were Grayson's parents, he looks just like his dad and he had his mother's smile.

They approached the table, each standing at opposite ends. Grayson's mother had a bright smile on her face but Grayson's father looked as if he was the grim reaper himself.

"Thank you everyone for joining us tonight," his voice effortlessly boomed throughout the large room. "I hope you enjoy the fine dining tonight, my wonderful wife Lili has chosen the menu with the help of Willow, my daughter... Please do not let us bother you any longer and enjoy your meal." He slightly bowed as loud claps rang once again before he sat down, and Grayson's mom did the same.

"Hello, Sir." They chanted.

My eyes widened slightly at the sudden synchronized greeting.

"Good evening, have you all enjoyed the party?"

I looked up at Grayson as his hand squeezed mine tightly.

"Yes, sir." They chanted once again.

"Good. Enjoy your meal."

"Yes sir, thank you, sir."

After that, it was nothing but silence from his end of the table while the other family members and guests chatted.

"Grayson?" I hesitantly spoke.

He hummed softly.

"Are you ok?"

He nodded and I couldn't believe him.

"Look at me, Grayson."

He glanced down at me almost as if he was scared to look anywhere but ahead.

I grabbed his jaw gently and forced him to look down at me. "What's wrong, Grayson? Don't lie to me."

His sad eyes were prominent, still just as beautiful but much more heartbreaking.

He took my hand from his face and pressed it against his lips. "Nothings wrong, Serena. I'm ok, let's eat yea?"

I nodded my hand gliding from his.

"Grayson." The loud voice boomed from across the table.

"Yes, sir."

"Who is that and why is she here."

Please remember to vote and comment on the chapter!