14

Grayson
I woke up, the keychain I was gifted the day before still in my palm.

I haven't been able to put it down. I woke up throughout the night if I even felt like I was going to drop it.

I haven't been given a gift for any reason in ten years. Not for a birthday, a promotion, nothing. This tiny little keychain that she bought at a gas station is the best thing I've ever received.

I regret not saying anything to her. I just couldn't get any words out. Her smile and excitement while handing it over to me made it all better. I want to thank her, though I don't know what I could give her that's better than what she's given me.

...

I want to give her a gift but I don't know what to get her so I went to her house after I got out. Hopefully, I can figure out anything she wants.

"I'm glad you're feeling better Grayson." She smiled down at me, her hair hidden behind what looked like a stylish bag.

I tilted my head as I stared at it. I wanted to ask her what it was because maybe she wanted more of them, they looked beautiful on her so maybe she wanted a different color.

"What are you looking at?" She chuckled, a smile on her face as she sat across from me, her legs crossed.

"Your hair net. Where'd you get it." She paused for a moment, her smile slowly widening as she stared at me in shock.

She exploded into laughter, her arms wrapping around her waist as she laughed. Her chest bounced as she fought to breathe. "You-" she was interrupted by another fit of laughter.

"That's so fucking adorable." She mumbled through her laughs.

I couldn't tell what I was more embarrassed about: the fact that I called it a hair net and it apparently isn't or the mental pictures I'm taking of her.

She finally slowed down, her smile never fading away. "It's a bonnet, Grayson. Not a hair net." She chuckled.

"Oh...do you want more?" She paused again, her head slightly tilting like a confused cat with big eyes and fluffy ears.

Her eyes narrowed as she smiled sweetly.

"You don't have to give me anything in return, Grayson." She said softly.

"I know. But I want to give you something." She hummed.

"Don't get me anything. Just continued to appreciate my gift and that's all I need."

Her face showed genuine appreciation. Like a dog when you pet it and it rests its head in your lap. She looked calm and just pleased with what was given. Another gift to me.

"Serena," I said lowly.

Her eyes became attentive like she was waiting to listen to every syllable I had to say.

"I think I'm in-"

A knock from her door interrupted me.

Preventing me from telling her how, in such a short time, I fell completely and entirely in love with her.

"Christy?" I watched as she glanced back at me, sobs coming from the other side of the door.

I tried not to listen as they whispered to each other, the other person's sobs intensifying at random points.

"Just come in." Serena pulled in, what looked like, a drunk girl with fiery red hair. "I'm sorry Grayson. I hope you didn't forget what you were going to say but can you please just tell me later?"

I paused, my eyes lowering slightly. Disappointment rose from my core.

"Of course." I stood up from the seat and walked towards her and the still crying woman.

"I'm sorry." She muttered, "we will just be a second." I nodded as she ushered the girl into the back toward her room. The door shut and my shoulders relaxed.

I don't want to leave and I know I don't have to but I think I should.

Who tells someone you barely know that you're in love with them? Three months I've known her, there is no way I'm truly in love with her.

Besides, I'm almost thirty. Be realistic Gray, this is like a high school crush and you know exactly how those end.

I left. I went a got her a gift, a bracelet with a butterfly charm. Diamonds danced along the band and wings. This bracelet was expensive but no match for the gift she has given me. More than a keychain, more than her excitement to give, but her genuine and beautiful smile.

I, Grayson Vankaro, will be happy with her never knowing my love for her as long as that smile, that beautiful smile, remains mine. A little gift for me.