19

13 years ago
Serena
I stared up at the ceiling. My eyes fucking hurt. I stood up, slowly, my body wobbling as I held onto the thing that was giving me water or something.

The door was closed and I'm pretty sure I'd be suspicious if I just left and didn't come back but I want to at least leave his scary-ass room.

I dragged my foot along, still holding onto the drippy thing so I wouldn't die while I was on my stroll.

I walked down the busy but quiet hallways, the nurses so busy with other things they didn't even notice I was walking from my room.

I wonder if this hospital has little babies. I don't think the babies would care about how dead I look.

I wandered around until I found a really long glass half-wall. My heart was racing maybe from the walk or maybe because I was happier.

I paused when I saw a weirdo with his hands in his pockets looking into the glass window. He was just standing there. He was pretty muscular but I don't think he can stop me if I hit him with this drippy thing.

"Hey. What are you doing?" I called out.

The man looked around, glancing back at me before finally turning to look at me. "Me?" He poked his chest with his finger as he stared at me with a scrunched-up face like he just heard someone say something stupid.

"Yea, you. What are you doing looking at those babies pervo? I should scream for help right now and get you locked up." I held onto the metal bar tightly as the adrenaline built up causing me to shake a bit.

He paused, a slight smile appearing on his face. "I'm not a pervert. I'm a fireman and I just dropped a baby off, that's it." He gave me a friendly smile before turning back around. "If you wanna come see, come on. I'll show which one he is." He stuffed his hands in his pockets and continued to stand with a slight lean back.

I hesitated as I walked over.

"You better not try to touch me perv. I'll scream." I said, my voice small as I looked at him from the side.

"You should." I glanced up at him.

"I should...scream if you touch me?" He nodded, not even really paying attention to me.

"Why would I be trying to touch a weird child? If I was a pervert, I don't think I would even try to molest kids in a hospital. Definitely not one with no manners." He glanced down at me with a serious and very grown-up face.

I crept slowly to the side and away from this perv. "That's something a perv would say..."

He chuckled, covering his mustache with his hand.

"Of course, that's something that a pervert would say. At least you're not stupid, just look at the babies kid while I go find your parents." He smiled as he began to walk off.

"You're not gonna find 'em," I shouted as I stood on my tippy toes to get a better look at the peaceful-looking babies.

"And why is that?"

"Because they are dead. Duh. Who else would leave their child in a hospital with a pervert."

He was silent almost making me believe he wasn't there anymore. But nope, his squeaky boots stepped closer until he was back standing next to me.

"Hey, how old are you?" His face was serious again. As if he was examining me.

"Fifteen, pervo. I'm out of pedophile prime so don't bother."

He didn't laugh, not a hair on his face moving.

"Why are you here by yourself? Someone is supposed to be watching you."

I sighed, scratching my short and tangled curls.

"Parents: bleh. Doctors: busy. Nurses: busy. Nobody to watch me."

"You don't even look fifteen. Are you ok?...what are you here for?" His voice almost sounded like my mom's after dad was done with me. I don't know what that means coming from him.

"My daddy killed my mom and my sister and I was too drunk to do anything about it and who cares if I'm a little short for my age." I turned to face the man, his face almost looking as if he was going to cry.

"What're you making that face for? Do you have to sneeze or something?" He chuckled, his eyes looking off as he ran his hand through his hair.

"I'm Emilio Papillo." He stuck his hand out but nothing was in it.

I looked on the ground to see if maybe it fell but nothing was there.

"What are you looking for?"

I looked back up at him "well aren't you trying to give me something? You turned your hand the wrong way so I'm pretty sure it fell but I can find it."

He shook his head, his palm landing on my shoulder.

"Stop. No, it's a handshake. Like in movies when people introduce themselves."

I raised my eyebrow. "What are you talking about? That sounds made up. Almost like a perv tactic."

He chuckled. "No. I shake your hand, we exchange names, and that's it." His hand went out once again.

"Hm. Ok..." I slapped my hand onto his as he shook it gently. "My name is Serena Livenstone."

He gave me a nice smile before letting go of my hand. The warmth stayed on my fingertips, like a kiss on the cheek.

"I think I like handshakes..." I mumbled, something tickling my cheek.

I went to scratch my cheek but was met with nothing but water. "Oh...I'm crying." I wiped my eyes and tried not to look at Emilio.

"Are you ok?" I nodded, trying not to speak so that I wouldn't have to cry more.

"I don't think I'm supposed to be crying. What if all the water from the drippy thing leaks out and I die."

He chuckled softly. He placed his hand on my back and held onto the pole with water, guiding me over to a bench that was pressed against the wall.

"Sit down and you can tell me what happened, maybe you won't feel like crying so much anymore."

I stared up at him, the tears making it look as if he was an angel. I nodded and wiped away the tears.

"Okay..."

Please remember to vote and comment on the chapter!